Attention New England Decorators!!

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm by Kate714

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 20

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the Big E, aka the Eastern States Exposition/New England's state fair, will be hosting a cake decorating competition for the first time this year!!! I suggested the idea to the Big E folks and they have asked me to help get the event some publicity and some entrants. Please see this link for more information:

http://www.thebige.com/creativearts/cake.html

We want this 1st year to be great, with lots of entries, so they'll do it again next year!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!!

thanks,
Kate

19 replies
Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:24am
post #2 of 20

I was veryy excited because i'm going up to Rhode Island in June but the competition is in September so i'm gonna miss it just like the ices convention. I swear it's like everytime I am going somewhere there is an event in the area i'm leaving that I really want to go to. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:10am
post #3 of 20

I'm so excited - I live about 10 mins. from the Big E!

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 20

Thanks, Kate...great info!

Kate714 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsmin24

I was veryy excited because i'm going up to Rhode Island in June but the competition is in September so i'm gonna miss it just like the ices convention. I swear it's like everytime I am going somewhere there is an event in the area i'm leaving that I really want to go to. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

oh, bummer!!

I'd love to get lots of people to enter, so those that are interested, tell your fellow cake decorating friends!! icon_biggrin.gif

Vonnie - where do you live? I am in Granby, CT, right past Southwick.

vonnie99 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 20

I'm in Springfield - by Forrest Park

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 20

YAY!!! I just printed off the form. How cool!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 20

OMG Kate, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO!!!!

COUNT ME IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will let the DH know that I will be out of town for a few days! (I hear the BIG E calling me)!

I was hoping that you were able to get this thing to actually work out!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I have already downloaded all the particulars, and am going to start sketching this afternoon. Straight shot down the interstate for me to get there!!! I can't wait!!! icon_lol.gif

So again I say Thanks!!!!

Donna

Kate714 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 20

oh yay, I'm so excited you guys are excited! I was telling the Big E woman that lots of people would be interested, but I wasn't sure if I could prove it icon_lol.gif get the word out! I'm hoping if it's successful this will be a regular thing!

Kate714 Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 20

Just FYI...I just had a long conversation with a woman who is concerned that the rules say no dummies will be allowed. She made a valid point that it could be very warm, and there is no air conditioning, people will be traveling, etc. I am in the process of talking to the Big E woman to see if we can change this.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 20

Oooh.. that would be good. Especially for those traveling with their entries. Not to mention that it is nice to be able to work on a contest cake over a long period of time.. no way you could do that with a real cake unless it was an English fruitcake.

vonnie99 Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:28am
post #12 of 20

I went out to the Big E link you supplied - there aren't a whole lot of rules and regulations listed - is that information available somewhere? I told my Wilton Instructor about it and she would like more info to pass on to the students she currently has - including a couple of kids classes.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 20

Yay! I printed out my sheet and will send it in today!

Not too bad, only about an hour and a half away. I'm gonna see if either of my son's want to enter as well.

Thanks for the info - are we all going to meet for breakfast once our cakes are set up? icon_smile.gif

vonnie99 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:31pm
post #14 of 20

I guess I'm going blind - I just saw the rules and reg. info link now!!! I've got to lay off the frosting - it is starting to kill my brain cells!!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie99

I guess I'm going blind - I just saw the rules and reg. info link now!!! I've got to lay off the frosting - it is starting to kill my brain cells!!

OR vonnie99: you should up the dosage!!! icon_lol.gif

Donna

Kate714 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:43pm
post #16 of 20

yup, there are some basic rules there and we might be able to change the no dummies rule. I will let you all know. I wonder if there's a good way to get the info out to Wilton instructors at Michael's, AC Moore, etc.?? I posted it on the Wilton site but I'd like to do more. I also sent it in to American Cake Decorating's website, and I'm trying to post it on Sugar Buzz. To get kids, I'm going to try to contact 4H in all the states. Anyone else have more ideas?

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:01pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate714

Just FYI...I just had a long conversation with a woman who is concerned that the rules say no dummies will be allowed. She made a valid point that it could be very warm, and there is no air conditioning, people will be traveling, etc. I am in the process of talking to the Big E woman to see if we can change this.

I was interested in bringing a cake until I saw the "no dummies"rule. I'm not willing to chance travelling 100 miles with a real cake in September. Can you just imagine putting all the work into a competition cake and it collapsing from the heat and motion? icon_eek.gif

Kate714 Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:24pm
post #18 of 20

okay, I will let you all know what the verdict is on the no dummies rule when I find out. The Big E woman I am dealing with is just part-time in the "off season" so hopefully I'll hear from her soon!

vonnie99 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #19 of 20

Any word on the "no dummies" rule?

Kate714 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #20 of 20

Hi yes, it looks like because the rules are already posted they're going to stick w/them this year, so no dummies...but she's willing to consider a change for next year. Hope we still get some entries!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%