What Kind Of Vinal?!!!

Decorating By wrd03 Updated 22 May 2008 , 4:35pm by diane

wrd03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrd03 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone, I'm going to attempt to make a stacked book cake for my sister's graduation. I've gotten a lot of tips and tricks from reading other posts. My problem is that I read people had used vinal to roll the fondant on and then wrap the cakes. I went to a fabric store and all they had was iron-on vinal. Is that the type I need to use? Should I look in a different store? I really appreciate any help you can offer!! Thanks!

7 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:17am
post #2 of 8

the vinyl comes on a roll in the upholstery fabric section. it is generally used to cover tables and furniture and comes in differant weights. go for the med to heavy weight.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 8

I got mine at WalMart in the fabric section. Very cheap. It comes on a long roll where they have vinyl for tablecloths. one yard is more than enough and I paid 2.57 for it. I cut mine in half and it's enough. You can then cut then remaining into whatever sizes you need.

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #4 of 8

I have read several threads on using vinyl for fondant but I am still not quite sure how to use it. Can you use the vinyl to pick up the fondant and place it on the cake? do you still need to use shortening to help with sticking?

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:55am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeAlayne

I have read several threads on using vinyl for fondant but I am still not quite sure how to use it. Can you use the vinyl to pick up the fondant and place it on the cake? do you still need to use shortening to help with sticking?

You roll your fondant out on the vinyl and you can flip the whole thing over your cake and just peel the vinyl away from the fondant. I prefer to use a tiny bit of shortening on my vinyl just to make sure the fondant doesn't stick.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:14am
post #6 of 8

I've been using the vinyl method for a hundred years! I don't even use shortening... just roll ou, flip the vinyl over onto the cake, and peel the vinyl off gently. No powdered sugar on the RF, like if you roll out on the counter, no stretching like if you lift with your hands.

wrd03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrd03 Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:05am
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much everyone!!! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 8

i am going to try this. i've always had a hard time with my fondant sticking and it drives me crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%