What Are Your Thoughts About Fondant Roll Up Roses....

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 22 May 2008 , 5:55pm by diane

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 9

I have mixed feelings about fondant rolled into roses......Is it just me or do they look like I didn't want to take the time to do a flower properly icon_redface.gif ..What are your thoughts....I'd like to put a few on the castle cake I am doing but in the end....I always end up looking at them and then taking them off cause they look fake and tacky...Can someone change my mind!!! icon_wink.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
wgoat5 Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

I like them because they aren't so "serious".. they give a whimsy look to a cake icon_smile.gif

I love them.. especially when I don't have time to make the more realistic roses icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 9

On the right cake I like them. I do think they are more Whimsy and 'fun' so I would use them in those cases. For something more serious, elegant and such I'd go with regular roses. Tha'ts just me though. icon_smile.gif

Lemonydoodles Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #4 of 9

I agree w/ the ladies above...it all depends on the style of the cake...personally I love whimsy stuff so rolled roses are my favorite....I'm not much into the elegant serious cake design.

flowermom Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #5 of 9

I can't do a fondant rose that actually looks like a rose, so a ribbon rose or duff style rose has to do it for now. I tend to put them cakes that aren't so formal like others have mentioned.

However if I am doing a really nice/formal cake and have plenty of time I do buttercream roses. I find it a lot easier to making those instead of gum paste or fondant roses for the now! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sandi

akgirl10 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:10am
post #6 of 9

I don't know what my problem is, I've tried and tried but cannot get a ribbon rose to look good to save my life. What is the trick? Oh, and I like both the realistic roses and ribbon style.

ncbert Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:24am
post #7 of 9

I like the look of the ribbon rose,as I tend to like more whimsy/funky stuff,although I am still having a hard time doing them. icon_cry.gif

I agree they look great on more whimsy/funky cakes

Nanc

CakeDiva73 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #8 of 9

Ribbon roses are cute but have a totally different style then traditional sugar flowers....I like them but they do have a somewhat juvenial look to them. Well, at least mine do! icon_smile.gif I have seen some really awesome ribbon roses and I am thinking, why don't mine come out like that??

As for sugar flowers (like fondant roses and all that good stuff) I absolutely love them.....but they are alot of hard work. And I really get pi$$ed when my kids walk by and jack one of the tray....I want to scream "GRAB A HANDFUL OF FONDANT AND LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

diane Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 9

i guess it all depends on what type of design you're doing. if it's a whimsy type cake, then it's perfect. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%