Square Cakes - What The Heck!?!

Decorating By SugarMama602 Updated 23 May 2008 , 12:47am by tracey1970

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 23

I just did a 3D guitar cake that wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be...and it came out pretty cool. And then last night I did a square cake frosted in buttercream and it totally sucks! icon_surprised.gif

Am I crazy in thinking square cakes are insanely hard to perfect? I imagine they're even harder with fondant!?

When you frost a square cake, is there a special trick to getting the top flat? (Other than a serrated knife, which I used...and failed miserably at. icon_cry.gif )

And when you put fondant on a square cake, is it any easier? Do you use one big piece, or do you have to do it in "sides"?

I'm still so new that any advice is welcome. icon_smile.gif

22 replies
Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 23

I am horrible at getting sharp, smooth edges with buttercream on a square or rectangle cake. Fondant on the other hand.. I love! I was really really surprised. I just did a wedding cake, square, covered in fondant and it turned out so smooth and perfect. Edges were a bit rounded, so if you're looking for sharp edges forget all this icon_lol.gif But my square covered fondant cakes turn out much smoother than my round covered fondant cakes.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 23

As wierd as this sounds, my square cakes come out waaaaaaay better than my round cakes. I dont even try buttercream cuz i am horrible at it.

Here is a link to the article on CC

http://www.cakecentral.com/article51-How-To-Frost-a-Square-Cake.html

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 23

I always thought that it's harder to cover a square cake w/ fondant but I" just did a round cake which came out all creased, while the square came out gorgeous, always thought it's impossible

SugarMama602 Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 23

Thanks for the link and the tips!

How can I make the top perfectly level? Are those cake levelers a good tool?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 23

I actually prefer square cakes over round! Getting the top of a square cake flat is pretty much the same as getting a round cake flat. I do all buttercream so I can't offer any help on fondant .... I'll leave that to the fondant experts on here for you!

I counted up one time and out of 19 consecutive weddings, 15 of them were square. They just seem easier for me to stack, to ice, to work with.

Here's a step-by-step photo on how I ice corners.... http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5396443-.html#5396443

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 23

well I bought the wiltons smaller one then bought the bigger one....i would say if you suck like me and cant cut a straight line, then yes, but my friend tells me why dont you just use a serrated knive, put it on the cake turntable and keep the knive straight and spin the turntable....then i say........uuuuuuuuuuh i cant even cut a straight line with a pair of sissors.....

So.....if you alre like me it will do the trick, but its not a quick easy thing you gotta work it. I like using a knife better but not a good straight line cutter...hope that helps

SugarMama602 Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 23

ALL of it helps...thanks for such great info!! I'm just going to keep giving away cakes while I practice, practice, practice!!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:17am
post #9 of 23

I just did a square fondant-covered cake for the first time last weekend. It was way easier than I expected and turned out nicer than a round cake I have done.

SugarMama602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 23

indydebi - what consistency would you say is the best for holding corners like that? Can you still use the creamier BC for it, or do you stiffen it up a bit?

Or does it have to do with temperature? I'm in AZ, and it's already into the 100's, so that always seems to be a factor.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 23

I am the queen of unlevel cakes, but have recently discovered if I overfill my batter in my pan, the cake will rise above the pan and then I can use a serrated knife to cut it level, because I use the rim of my pan as a guide. I don't do many square cakes but this works like a dream with rounds, so it could work icon_smile.gif HTH!

SugarMama602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:45pm
post #12 of 23

That's a great idea...I'll try that, too. I'll try them all!! LOL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 23

sugarshack has excellent DVDs on putting BC and fondant on square cakes and also one on stacking. Here DVDs are worth every penny you pay for them. Here'a link to her website if you're interested http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 23

oh and someone I had PM'd before about the perfect edges of their cakes told me that Miss Sharon's (SugarShack) video on perfecting the art of buttercream shows you how she does things like edges and corners. I have a horrible time with rims and edges and usually wind up putting a border over them to hide the flaws. I have the video but haven't watched all of it, so I am not 100% sure but I am sure others on here have watched it and can let us know icon_smile.gif Oh and Indydebi, those photos are great... dumb question, is a bench scraper just a spatula or is it something else?

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 23

I JUST did the overfill and trim with the edge method. It worked like a charm. I was so nervous is was going to bake over into the oven and burn and possibly ruin the cake, but it was perfect!

Oh, and listen to everything Indydebi says! She's a CC Star!!!

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 23

I overfill and cut at pan level as well. If my batter doesn't rise above my pan I use the cake leveler by wilton...gives you a perfect level cake. As for square cakes, love them...if they are fondant...not as easy in buttercream. Here is a wonderful video on how to cover a square cake in fondant I found here....

" rel="nofollow">

SugarMama602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 23

That's a great video...thank you for sharing!

As an aside - is it just me, or does that fondant seem really thick? Does anyone else make their fondant that thick when covering a square cake? Or any cake?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #18 of 23

The bench scraper is also sold on sugarshack's website for $7.00, it's a must have.

SugarMama602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 10:42pm
post #19 of 23

Ooh, I'll have to take a peek.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:02pm
post #20 of 23

Thicker fondant is way easier to work with...no tearing and you can work into shape way easier than thinner fondant. It seems like it would be the opposite icon_confused.gif I Iove putting fondant on square cakes icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #21 of 23

Another trick to leveling that I just tried today ..... A couple of my cakes didn't rise higher than the cake, so I tried something I had read on CC some time ago.

After the cakes were removed from the pan and cooled just a bit, I put 2 cardboards in the cake pan, put the cake back in the pan. The cardboards elevated the cake slightly above the pan to enable me to trim it perfect! So if your cakes don't rise past the pan, I'm here to testify that this CC tip works great!!!

To respond to a prev post question, I crumb coat and do the top coat in "regular" consistency icing. I usually make the icing the same consistency no matter what I'm doing .... I might thin it if I'm doing a chantilly lace design (arthritis hands, ya know!).....

SugarMama602 Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #22 of 23

Ok...definitely something to keep in mind. And that way, I don't necessarily have to overfill if I don't need to!!

Thanks - I love you all. (Miss America wave...)

"My goal, as Miss America....is to make perfectly square cakes."

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:47am
post #23 of 23

You'll notice on Sharon's DVD about fondant that the fondant is rolled out perhaps a bit thicker than you'd expect (I know that's what I thought). But when I did the same myself, what a relief! No tearing, no cracking, nothing. I rolled it out on a mat with a light coat of shortening. It rolls out perfectly and comes off the mat with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%