All About Simple Syrup

Decorating By cakenewbiekgm Updated 21 May 2008 , 8:24pm by Cakebelle

cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 5

I have never used simple syrup on a cake but I am interested in trying it out, but there is so much I don't know about it.

How many of y'all use simple syrup?
What does it do to the tast and consistency of the cake?
How do you put it on the cake?
How does it effect the top of the cake for decorating purposes?

I would love to know what people here think about simple syrup and how many people us it. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 5

I do on most of my scratch cakes...

You can make it.. very simple.

Water, sugar and extract (Vanilla mostly).. Heat it up until sugar melts, you're done .

OR you can use TORANI ITALIAN SYRUPS... works well since it has already flavors.. I apply it using a small spray bottle.. I like it better than brush.. IMHO, it is evenly applied this way. icon_smile.gif try it,, it does wonders to any dry cake.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 5

Simple syrup is mostly used for cakes that tend to be dry, like some sponge and daquois. A light brushing of syrup add flavor, sweetness and/or moisture.

As fondantgrl says, you can add vanilla or use it just plain or use liquors or flavored syrups.

In many cakes it is not necessary and can make it soggy.

It is also good for rescuing a slightly overbaked cake. You can it ahead (equal parts sugar and water-boil 5 minutes, chill) but it will grow mold fairly quickly.

cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 5

I am making a cake for a friend and he said he had the most amazing almond cake at a wedding he went to recently. My thought was that maybe to enhance the almond flavor the cake had some simple syrup on it. Almond filling maybe? Any suggestions for amping up the almost flavor on a white cake?

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 5

I'm a scratch baker and use simple syrup for most of my cakes. My recipe is the same as fondantgrl's. I too add flovors to the syrup to enhance the flavor of the cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%