What Molding Material Is Best

Decorating By Evone Updated 23 May 2008 , 2:31am by mamacc

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone make their own molds? If so what is the best molding material for food out there and where do you get it? I tried what they have at the cake decorating store but it was worthless. money down the drain. I need something that shows really sharp detail. thanks everyone.

6 replies
cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 7

Great question - gonna bump up this bad boy!!!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 7

There is one you can buy at Michaels that is FOOD SAFE. It is in the clay section. It is in a box with a baby hand's picture on the box, where a baby was asleep while her hand is being molded.. If you read the label, you can use it on food. It is about $19.00.. icon_smile.gif

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 7

I am thinking about those blue ones that you use for lace. they seem to give great detail and are easy to get out. does anyone know how to make molds like that?

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 7

When I have a small amount of fondant 'left-over', I add a bit of gum-tex, or tylose and use that to make some molds using various things like pretty buttons, jewelry what ever I think I might like to use on cakes. Right now I have some drying using leftovers from Graduation hats!
I had a pretty plastic flower piece originally from an old cake topper that I pressed into the mixture. Once it dries really dry...not hard in the 5% humidity of Arizona today....I can dust with corn starch and use just like a commercially made mold being very careful to not get it wet!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

When I have a small amount of fondant 'left-over', I add a bit of gum-tex, or tylose and use that to make some molds using various things like pretty buttons, jewelry what ever I think I might like to use on cakes. Right now I have some drying using leftovers from Graduation hats!
I had a pretty plastic flower piece originally from an old cake topper that I pressed into the mixture. Once it dries really dry...not hard in the 5% humidity of Arizona today....I can dust with corn starch and use just like a commercially made mold being very careful to not get it wet!

That is a really cool idea! icon_cool.gif Thanks for sharing. Now I'm going to have to hunt around the house for cool things to make molds of. icon_wink.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:31am
post #7 of 7

There's a couple different kinds, ones that you mold once and keep, and ones that you can melt down and reuse. Ive been wanting to buy some but haven't yet....

Anyway, I thought beryls.com sold the kind that you can reuse over and over again but I just checked their sit and couldn't find it...it looked like they redid their site. Maybe someone else on here knows what I'm talking about...

The other stuff that I've heard about is silicone plastique, which as far as I know you don't melt and reuse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%