Lemon Filling Help Needed Asap

Baking By tirby Updated 21 May 2008 , 8:02pm by ericaann79

tirby Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 18

OK well my first attempt at lemon filling went well..... I dont want to talk about it!
BUT I need to make a QUICK EASY or fairly easy lemon filling It needs to ba able to be in a cool but not refrigerated room. I have lemon pudding , extract, juice . NO LEMON RINDS LEFT and no whipping cream
(I could run to the store but I dont want to.....)
ANY ONE..... any ideas????? please I need help today!!

17 replies
awolf24 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 18

You can add a small bit of lemon extract or lemon juice to your buttercream (or whatever you are using as icing) and use that as a lemon filling. I flavor my buttercream all the time to use as fillings.

janebrophy Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 18

What about pudding?

ladyonzlake Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 18

What about using the lemon filling for lemon meringue pie? I think it's lemon juice and cornstarch.

ericaann79 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 18

I just made lemon curd...OMG so yummy! Easy too! Here is the recipe I found on food network:

5 egg yolks
1 Cup Sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup butter

Combine egg yolks and sugar in metal bowl and whisk till smooth (mine wasn't exactly smooth it was more a thick blob). Add lemon juice and whisk. In a saucepan bring about 1" of water to boil. Once boiling reduce to medium and put metal bowl on top of the saucepan. The bowl should not be touching the water. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until thickened. If you want it a bit more thick add 1 Tbs cornstarch...although I don't think it needs it I put it in anyway because I like my fillings really thick. Remove from heat and add 2 Tbs. butter at a time waiting for each one to thoroughly melt before adding the next. Refrigerate until ready to use!

Good Luck!

terri-jo Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 18

I second the lemon curd suggestion!. It is so easy to made from scratch, and so deeeelish! So much better then store bought, but in a time crunch, a jar of that is great too. Good luck!

fondantfrenzy Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 18

Use the instant (or cook and serve) pudding mix and substitute heavy cream for half of the milk requirements in the recipe.
After mixing, place the pudding in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap but place the plastic wrap directly on the pudding to avoid a film from forming.

That should do the trick!

Amia Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 18

What's the best ingredient to add to get lemon cream cheese filling? Extract? Lemon juice? Lemon curd? icon_confused.gif

awolf24 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 18

I agree that lemon curd is the best way to go - jar of Dickinson's from the store is a great pre-made way to go. LOVE that stuff. But I was trying to give you options with what you already have on hand.

ericaann79 - thanks for posting that lemon curd recipe! It looks easier than others I've seen. icon_smile.gif

Soniabean Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 18

How about a lemon curd? You will need eggs and you can omit the zest if you don't have any and add a bit of of lemon extract for more flavor if you feel you need it. This is one from Martha Stewart Living:

1 cup sugar
Zest of 3 lemons
3 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
1 cup lemon juice
5 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces

Directions
Prepare and ice-water bath. Set a medium bowl in ice-water bath and set aside.

Place sugar and lemon zest in a mortar and grind with a pestle to combine and release the oils. Transfer sugar mixture to a medium heatproof bowl along with eggs and egg yolks; whisk to combine. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk until sugar has dissolved. Add lemon juice and continue whisking until mixture is thick and reaches 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add butter and whisk until well combined.

Strain lemon mixture through a fine mesh sieve set over prepared bowl. Cover lemon curd with plastic wrap, pressing plastic wrap directly onto surface. Transfer to refrigerator until completely chilled.

ericaann79 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #11 of 18

It was really easy to make and you can substitue any fruit juice you like...the possibilities are endless! The recipe is really fun!

Amia1024 for the lemon cream cheese...I would mix 8 oz cream cheese with one recipe of the lemon curd and then maybe mix with som cool whip to make a nice lemon cream cheese mousse!

tirby Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaann79

I just made lemon curd...OMG so yummy! Easy too! Here is the recipe I found on food network:

5 egg yolks
1 Cup Sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup butter

Combine egg yolks and sugar in metal bowl and whisk till smooth (mine wasn't exactly smooth it was more a thick blob). Add lemon juice and whisk. In a saucepan bring about 1" of water to boil. Once boiling reduce to medium and put metal bowl on top of the saucepan. The bowl should not be touching the water. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until thickened. If you want it a bit more thick add 1 Tbs cornstarch...although I don't think it needs it I put it in anyway because I like my fillings really thick. Remove from heat and add 2 Tbs. butter at a time waiting for each one to thoroughly melt before adding the next. Refrigerate until ready to use!

Good Luck!

LOVE THIS OK but how long is it room stable I cant put it in the fridge I mean the cake.....Its to big and my frige is to small. So if it is in the cake sealed how long can it sit out. 1 day 2 days????? The room is cool 55-60 but not COLD

tirby Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

You can add a small bit of lemon extract or lemon juice to your buttercream (or whatever you are using as icing) and use that as a lemon filling. I flavor my buttercream all the time to use as fillings.

How much would you add?

ericaann79 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 18

I am no expert, but butter can sit out for weeks easily so the only things you would hav to worry about are the eggs and lemon juice and if it is sealed between the buttercream and cake I think you will be fine for 2 days...

awolf24 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 18

If using the extract, and you are flavoring only a small amount of icing for the filling, I would start out small like 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon. Just taste it to see if it needs more flavor - always easier to add more than do the reverse.

If you are using lemon juice, I would do the same thing but you could start out with maybe a teaspoon at a time until you get the flavor you want. You may have to add more powdered sugar if it gets too thin - you don't want your filling bulging between your layers.

Amia Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaann79

It was really easy to make and you can substitue any fruit juice you like...the possibilities are endless! The recipe is really fun!

Amia1024 for the lemon cream cheese...I would mix 8 oz cream cheese with one recipe of the lemon curd and then maybe mix with som cool whip to make a nice lemon cream cheese mousse!

Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

tirby Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

What about using the lemon filling for lemon meringue pie? I think it's lemon juice and cornstarch.

Can anyone find a quick recipe for this? It sounds good. (I love lemon pie)

ericaann79 Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #18 of 18

The lemon merengue pie recipe is similar to the curd, but different. Here is the recipe from Wilton which is basically lemon merengue pie...I have used this previously, but I don't like the result as much as the curd. When I have made the Wilton one in the past I refrigerate if for a few days and it separates, the liquid and the solid...not sure why, I just mix it back together before I go to use it. Tastes good, but the curd has a better consistency for filling. Here is the recipe if you want to try it from Wilton:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/cake_filling/r_lemon_cake_fill.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%