How To Make Hay Bales

Decorating By froglover Updated 21 May 2008 , 5:47pm by plbennett_8

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 6

I have a western themed cake this weekend and need to know how to make hay bales. Also any ideas on what else to do. I'm thinking two 11*15 side by side with a bonfire, pond and hay bales. What else? Thanks so much. BTW it's for a graduation.

5 replies
SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 6

I have a couple in my gallery... check it out for some ideas if you would like. When I did hay bales, I used caramel candy pieces and pressed an indention into them to make them look as if they had texture. HTH!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 6

You could try using a rice krispie treat square, and then cover it with brown buttercream using the grass tip, so it looks like short sticks of hay.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 6

I just made yellow fondant squares and used a toothpick to make the indentations and then took a paint brush and dipped it into brown icing coloring and painted brush strokes. There is a pic in my gallery it was a bday cake for a one year old.

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 6

for an even quicker hay stack. Shape or cut cake, marshmallow, or rice crispy treats and cover with toasted coconut. Thats what I did for one large hay stack made for my sons first birthday cake. Pumpkin patch theme. It is not in my photos but it is on my website Under custom themed.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 6

I used fondant rectangles, and my fondant extruder with the hair/grass attachment... Worked great! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%