Color Mixing Chart?

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 27 May 2008 , 11:12am by SecretAgentCakeBaker

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 6

Sorry, I have another question today!

I threw away all of my Wilton paste colors because they were driving me crazy. Leaking containers, fading colors, difficult to use, storage issues, etc. I purchased a small set of Ateco spectrum gel colors as a starter set. It has 6 colors. Super Black, Super Red, Royal Blue, Leaf Green, Deep Pink, and Lemon Yellow.

I have been searching for a color mixing chart but I cannot find one that only uses basic colors. All the charts I found use many colors. Also, I am really only finding charts for the Americolor and Wilton.

I don't make enough cakes at the moment to invest in a ton of colors, so I was really hoping to be able to mix colors from what I have. If I find I make a certain color a lot, then I would buy that color.

Thanks for any help!

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

Americolor and Ateco Spectrum are practically identical in color composition, are they not? I was told that they are the same once. Maybe that's wrong?

You can try PMing "Colorboy", the Official Americolor Rep on this site. icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 6

I would suggest buy a color wheel from your local craft shop that can be found in the art section. It's been the BEST $4 investment EVER. I LOVE mine!!!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 6

I believe you will be fine using the Americolor charts.

You're going to love using those gels - so easy compared to Wilton.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 6

Found you a color mixing chart online.....

http://www.fantes.com/manuals/color-mixing.pdf

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #6 of 6

Thanks! It looks like I am going to have to buy a few more colors. Too bad! I was really hoping to just be able to stick with the 6 I have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%