Dragees On Buttercream

Decorating By vicmic Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm by Smiller94

vicmic Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 5

I haven't been able to find an answer to my question and am hoping for some feedback. I am making a three tier anniversary cake this week for a friend and she wants the triangle dots on the sides of the cake so I was thinking of using dragees instead of piping with the buttercream icing but how do I attach the dragees so they don't fall off? Do I need to put icing on them, do i need to attach them before my icing crusts, or can I just dampen them with water/vodka to stay on the cake. I will be using a pretty small size. I have never used them before and want to surprise her with a little bling. Thanks for any and all help. icon_eek.gif

4 replies
leah_s Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 5

You just prss the dragees onto the buttercream before it crusts. One or two isolated nes may fall off, but that's why you carry a few extras with you.

Smiller94 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 5

Can you still add dragees to buttercream after it has already crusted?

I will be doing a wedding cake this weekend with 2 tiers being diamond impression and I will be adding dragees to it. Plan on Icing one night and the next day decorate.

Thanks!

indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, I've added dragees to BC .... if the BC is not still sticky enough to hold them, I use a #1 or #2 tip to put a small dot on the back of the dragee, then attach (with a pair of tweezers).

Smiller94 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 5

thanks indydebi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%