Decorating Tools

Baking By kimmyboo925 Updated 21 May 2008 , 6:16pm by millicente

kimmyboo925 Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to cookies... I was wondering exactly how you guys get such beautiful cookies... How do you roll them in so perfect? I saw this special mat with sides on it.. is it worth it? Do you all use the silpat mats for baking them? Bottles for decorating and filling them? what do you use to color your icing? sorry for all the questions.. Its just that there are so many recipes and so many icing and so much cookie stuff.. I dont want to make a MESS>> lol.. I am gonna try with the NFSC recipe first and I was thinking that Antonia 74 icing... icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know what everyone else uses, but I bake on insulated cookie sheets. The smooth edges come from using metal cookie cutters. I ice with marshmallow fondant, which I roll out on a silicone mat and cut with the same cookie cutter I used for the cookie itself, and put the fondant on the cookie while it's still hot. I use wilton paste colors for the icing, but a lot of people prefer americolor.

linedancer Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome to the wonderful world of cookies, kimmyboo925. I have been doing them for about 18 months and have had a real blast. I use good old dowel rods to help keep my cookies an even thickness. They are cheap and come in a variety of sizes. Since I like a little thinner cookies, I use a 3/16th inch one. One will do it, just cut it in half. I roll my cookies between parchment paper on the bottom and waxed paper on the top. Cut out with whatever cookie cutter you want. I also bake on insulated cookie sheets, with parchment paper on top. That parchment paper makes life a whole lot easier...

Once I get them baked, I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF for icing. For me, it is alot easier and cleaner. I use vinyl mats to roll it out on. Made these by getting a yard of fairly heavy clear vinyl, cut into about 12 in squares. Grease the mat with Crisco, wipe it off with a napkin, so there is just a thin film. Plop down a ball of fondant, dust lightly with corn starch and roll away. Use the same cookie cutters for the fondant that you did for the cookies. You can peel the cut fondant off the mat, just like a label. I use thinned karo syrup, applied to the cookies with a fair size sable brush, to adhere the fondant to the cookie.

I have several photos posted, if you would like to see some finished cookies. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. Hope this helps and happy cookie baking icon_biggrin.gif .

Edited to add: I use mostly Wilton colors, but I do use Americolor for black and red, you do not have to use as much .

aliciaL_77 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 6

I have a large rolling pin with guide bands on them to keep my dough even, bake on a 1/2 sheet pan with parchment, and use bottle for the thinner royal icing and parchment bags for the stiffer royal. If I use buttercream, I use plastic disposable bags as well as parchment depending on how much I need

Yomomma Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 6

I purchased two yard sticks from the craft dept at Wal-Mart - they are 1/4" thick. I just lay them out parallel, on my kitchen table and use an OXo rolling pin. I bake on parchment paper lined 1/2 sheet pans. I use parchment or disposable bags w/ royal icing, colored with Wilton paste colors.

millicente Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 6

Welcome......
Yes I purchased one of the Doboards for 65 I think...and yes its great to use.Is that what you are talking about?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%