Petit Four Disaster

Decorating By Launa Updated 22 May 2008 , 7:07pm by pastrylady

Launa Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I have a new respect for those of you who produce beautifully decorated, perfectly covered petit fours!!! I can't do it!!! icon_mad.gif I was asked to make a few for a sample, so I carefully studied all of the threads here on CC and thought to myself, "Now that doesn't seem so difficult." But the first batch went into the trash, and I'm not too sure I want to let these go out the door tomorrow. They look aweful!!! I tried round ones and covering them when they were slightly frozen, but they look like snowballs that are half-melted! They didn't keep their shape at all and the poured fondant is clumping around the bottom and some of them are leaning over. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I will probably apologize for these when the lady comes to sample them tomorrow, and tell her that I'm just not able to make them where they look presentable. There's no way that I would ever serve these at a party. Oh well, now that I've vented, I feel better and I think I'll stick to cakes and cookies. Thanks for listening! It's so nice to know that someone cares!

3 replies
augustaharrison Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #2 of 4

sorry to hear your troubles, unfortunately there is no advice that I can offer, hope it turns out ok for you.

Meemawfish Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 4

So Sorry but I can't help either. Although I would love to try petit fours so far I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't know if I want to now. icon_biggrin.gif
Maybe their not as bad as you think. Hope things go better for you. thumbs_up.gif

pastrylady Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 4

It sounds like your cake is too soft to use for petite fours. Did you use a mix or scratch cake? Even frozen, mix cakes tend to be softer and more crumbly than scratch cakes.

Try using more of a pound cake type of cake. You need a cake with some body to hold up to the poured fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%