Legal To Sell Gumpaste Flowers???

Business By jessfmaldonado Updated 21 May 2008 , 1:11am by Texas_Rose

jessfmaldonado Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is illegal to sell gumpaste flowers and decorations without having a license?? I live in Florida so we cannot bake from home, we have to have a licensed kitchen. Do we have to make the flowers in the licensed kitchen or can I do them from home? I will love to make some extra money to help my learning along before we open our bakery. Thanks so much for all your responses!!!

3 replies
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:25am
post #2 of 4

There would be absolutely no problem with selling gumpaste flowers without a health department license as long as they are labeled accordingly. I have purchased some in the past as they were always labeled "for decoration only." It's kinda like making macaroni covered pencil jars, sure they are made of something edible but thet "ain't for eatin". icon_biggrin.gif

Best of luck!

peacockplace Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:33am
post #3 of 4

I'd check with the dept of Agriculture just to make sure. They are crazy strict about food laws here in FL. thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:11am
post #4 of 4

It's interesting, I was just wondering the same thing...if it would be legal to sell "for decoration only" fondant and gumpaste items, like the flowers, bows, pearls, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%