Lid And Keys For Grand Piano Cake

Decorating By MomR Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 2:23am by oceanspitfire

MomR Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 10

I need some help! I am making a grand piano cake for my students' piano recital. How do I make the keys and the top lid of the piano. I guess I could use a dowel to prop up the lid, but what do I make the lid out of?

Thanks. I'm new and loving all the help I get from this forum.

9 replies
kakedecorator Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 10

I made them both out of gum paste. I even made the "stick" to hold the top open out of gum paste. The keyboard, I just rolled gum paste the size I needed "scored" lines to make keys and "painted" in the black keys with edible markers.

MomR Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 10

Who do you attach the lid and stick?

MomR Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:42am
post #4 of 10

Sorry, that is supposed to be how not who!!

kakedecorator Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:23am
post #5 of 10

Push the stick into the cake (so you have to make it a little longer).

MomR Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 10

That makes sense! What about the lid?

DianeLM Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 10

I made this lid (and the music stand) out of cookies five years ago. If I were to do this cake today, I'd make the lid out of gumpaste.

I did the exact same thing for the keys as kakedecorator, except I used fondant rather than gumpaste.

My extremely heavy cookie lid is 'glued' to the piano with buttercream icing. I'd use royal icing for a gumpaste lid.

kakedecorator Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 10

DianeLM, Beautiful cake.

doitallmom Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #9 of 10

I too, am going to try my hand at one of these(i think)!!

oceanspitfire Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #10 of 10

What a great idea!
I made a grand piano for my Dad's 70th birthday 2 years ago. (It's obviously not in the caliber of anyone here lol, but the idea is what matters, lol, anyway, I have lots more practicing to do with fondant and RBC (that was my first RBC that I had ever played with). ANyway it was not within my capabilities to prop up the lid, (or maybe attempting the inside of the piano scared me lol) so I left that, but I made the keys out of white RBC (and black for the black keys). I was of course originally going to make the traditional 88 keys but then my niece - 7 at the time - suggested 70 keys in keeping with his age lol, which ended up being a grand idea (no pun intended, I swear) because 88 would have been a real B**** to squish into that space lol.
Gee now I want to go make another one just for the hell of it!
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%