Frosting/decorating A Wedding Cake

Decorating By cakewanda Updated 20 May 2008 , 7:34pm by JoAnnB

cakewanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewanda Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 2

I have been reading all the posts on the various buttercream icings. I found one that I really like - a crusting buttercream. Here is my question - the recipe says that it crusts quickly so keep the cake covered if not using right away. But what about a wedding cake which I will be transporting, setting up, and piping dots on and then it will sit until the reception etc. Will this crusting be a problem or will the icing be good and soft even with the crusting? I am not that familiar with this crusting buttercream. Any thoughts would be appreciated or experiences with wedding cakes/icings - what works well and goes well with a raspberry mousse in the filling. The bride does not like the Italian Buttercream that she chose and she wants something sweeter and lighter.
Thanks Much icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 2

The icing really only crusts on the surface. Underneath, it will stay fairly soft. It would harden over several days, but not in afew hours.

You mousse may require being kept cold. If the cake and filling are very cold when you deliver the cake, it will hold for a few hours, provided there is airconditioning and it is not sitting in a sunny spot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%