Storing Bulk Sugars?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 21 May 2008 , 2:57pm by leah_s

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 7

I just bought 50 # of ps and granulated sugars at Sams - I usually store these in sterlite containers I bought a few years ago @ wal-mart. It recently occurred to me that although I ONLY keep sugars in these containers, they still may not be "food safe". I think they're 54 qt, but can't be sure (no label). I'm just wondering what those of you who purchase in bulk store your sugars in, if they're "food grade" or whatever, and what size do I need to hold a 50 # of sugar?

any input is welcome, thanks!

6 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

Try a restaurant supply warehouse for their large plastic bins.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 7

found some on acemart.com, just not sure what size to get and if they seal well...what does everyone else use?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 7

I don't buy bulk just because I don't have a food-safe container to store it in....they are expensive!

I know GFS (Gordon Food Service) sells them (Cambro and Rubbermaid are some brands).

Are you pouring your sugar out into the container or just putting the opened bag in there to keep critters out? I would think it would be okay to keep the bag in there, if the sugar isn't coming in direct contact with the plastic, which probably isn't food-safe.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 7

I actually use big huge jars purchased from Target a few years back.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

Oh I bet the jars would be really pretty....

I use large containers I have gotten at Bed,bath and beyond and the restaurant supply store around me.

Make sure they seal well for sure because one I got does nto and my sugar gat all humidified!

HTH
Julia

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 7

I just keep it in the original bag and put the bag in a bin I had made.

The bin is really cool. It looks sort of like a window seat (but not in front of a window, so a bench) but the top flips up and the inside holds 2 50# bags + 2 20# bags. When closed you can sit on it in my kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%