Fondant Accents

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 21 May 2008 , 12:52am by cathyscakes

cathyscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to make fondant accents and seal them up in zip lock bags a couple of days ahead of time. I was wondering if they will stay pliable sealed. I am mostly doing strips of fondant in assorted colors, and would like to finish some of these steps ahead of time. I have come down with the flu, so any time savers is welcomed. I will be taking every precaution while doing this cake, so no one will get ill, but i'm feeling so exhausted, i'm looking for some things I can do ahead of time, just hoping this was one way to save some time. thanks

2 replies
levinea Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 3

Are you doing real fondant or MMF? If you're using MMF, you can make them ahead of time and just pop them in the microwave for literally 2 seconds to soften them up enough to work with them a little more and stick them to the cake when you're ready. I do that all the time.

If you're using real fondant, it will last a couple of days in sealed plastic before it starts to dry out and harden. If you need to bend the pieces to stick them on the cake, you may not want to make them too far ahead of time because they can crack. Of course, the thicker the accents, the more time they take to dry out.

cathyscakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:52am
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm using real fondant, I think I'll wait, till decorating day, don't want to take any chances, thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%