How Many Husbands Help/work With Your Cakes?

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm by lisa78332

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #121 of 135

My husband helps me sculpt in fondant when I'm not exactly how to get a desired look. He tortes my cakes when I ask and he is super supportive.

He's not into it like I am but way before me, he worked at a bakery in a warehouse so he got to see a lot and learn by observing a lot of stuff that I've never had the opportunity to observe. So his knowledge is really helpful.

He's also very handy with tools. So if I ever say that something isn't possible, he's the first to jump in and tell me that it can be done. And he'll sit there at the computer in a drafting program and figure it out. He's got the Ace of Cakes attitude. And he won't just tell me it can be done, he'll help me accomplish it.
His construction know how certainly does not go to waste in the cake world.

If you look at my photos. He sculpted the torso of my mom (talk about weird seeing my husband try to get my mom's boobs just right), he sculpted my dad's torso (pot belly and all), he sculpted the camera around my Dad's neck, and he helped me figure out how to get my mom to stand on the cake so she would look like she's diving in without her taking a face plunge into the swimming pool. BIG HELP!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:37pm
post #122 of 135

My hubby carries them for me when I deliver them some of them are very heavy.

Molly2

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #123 of 135

My husband helps by eating the scraps of cake so I don't.
He helps load my car.
Most of all. he is extremely proud of me and supportive.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:46pm
post #124 of 135

My husband is always there for me. He cuts boards for me and helps me clean up, and deliver. When I first received my Buttercream DVD from sugarshack I was so excited! I said to him "Look how smooth she gets her cakes!!!" He said "that's just like doing drywall"! I bought the bench scraper that sugarshack uses in the DVD. On my next cake, I told my husband "OK Mr. Drywall, let's see YOU do it! Can you believe he smoothed that cake better than me????

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #125 of 135

I wish my husband was more into my cakes and helping me. He's my "tasting" expert, he cuts my dowels, carries the cake to the car and sometimes comes with me for deliveries. Oh, and when I'm totally exhausted he cleans up the kitchen, usually only for the final round of cleaning though.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:01pm
post #126 of 135

MINE, MINE! He isn't at all handy, but he will always find someone or somewhere for whatever I need...without EVER crabbing about cost. He will also sit up with me if I'm working on something into the night...I enjoy the company and he stays even if he's bone tired. I LOVE THE GUY!

Thinknice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thinknice Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #127 of 135

My husband helps out lots of little ways. He took my first Wilton class with me when I first became interested. He runs out to the store for me when i need something. He helps make MMF and colors the fondant. He steers clear of the kitchen when he sees me getting frustrated and puts up with me when I ask his opinion about something and then do the opposite. If I'm really lucky, and its late and I'm tired, he'll do the dishes after I'm all done.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #128 of 135

I'm not married, but can I just say that my mom and bro are probably the ones that help me the most.

My mom, a cook, will wash my dishes w/o me even asking. I tell she doesn't have to, but she insists b/c she knows what it's like to work on cooking and then have to do all the dishes.

And my bro, not only pauses his videogames when I ask for his opinion on something, but he's come along on big deliveries, ran to the store for me and been an awesome support. He's even giving up part of his Saturday in July to help me with my first cake-cutting service wedding. Did I mention he's only 20. I am so proud of him.

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:32pm
post #129 of 135

My DH is a farmer by hobby and is usually out working while I am baking and decorating. He is the taste tester. He also bought me a card table and chair that I can set up in the living room to work on flowers and such and still be able to "watch" a movie with him.

He is an engineer by trade so he helps me with the mechanics such as structure and boards. He is pretty creative although a lot of his ideas are still out of my reach.

When I am extremely stressed and needing help he doesn't mind doing anything I ask. He's awesome!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:54am
post #130 of 135

My DH helps when I need him to lift the cakes for me. He also helps by spending the $$ I make - LOL!

Muscles are sooo nice!

Jen icon_smile.gif

MicheleF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleF Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #131 of 135

My husband is wonderfull in every way!!! He does so much around the house that it amazes me I got so lucky. He will cut speciality boards for me and wrap them in foil. He has made icing and a couple of times when we were both real busy, he actually made the cakes for me!! Of course I have trouble keeping him away from the chocolate cakes....that's his weakness. I decorate the cakes but I bounce cake decorating ideas off of him all the time and from time to time he has come up with some better than me!!! If he wanted to decoate the cake, I know he would do a great job. Did I mention he does dishes also!!

Michele
"A very lucky wife."

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #132 of 135

Well I don't have a hubby (anymore) I do have a girlfriend (partner)...she is great.....She is a tomboy but she is better at knowing when the cakes are done than I am (they are always moist when she checks them).

She is not very artistic, but she lets me explain my little heart away when I get an idea for a cake...she is very patient and will listen to me go on and on forever....even tho she is a visual person and has no idea what i'm talking about till the cake is done and she sees it...... icon_surprised.gif " oh now I get it"...LOL

I work days so I do most of may cakes at night...I am usually up late when I'm working on a cake.......she is great...... she never goes to bed without cleaning up what ever mess I have made so When I am done for the night I can pretty much go right to bed!!

She is very supportive and is my biggest fan....she keeps pictures of my cakes on her cell phone and she shows people my work where ever she goes......

She is great and I would be lost without her!!! icon_wink.gif

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #133 of 135

I also have a very supportive and helpful girlfriend...she has supported me from day one of this adventure. Not only does she go shopping for me to pick up my cake supplies, but she jumps in and does the dishes too...She always tells me how good my cakes look, even though I see the flaws...and just like YouTakeTheCake's girlfriend, my girlfriend is my biggest fan. She also brags to everyone she knows about my projects...she thinks I'm the best darned cake maker in the world, even though I know I'm far from it.

Whenever I need my dowels cut, she gladly does the cutting...when I need an extra hand in flipping a cake, she's there with an extra hand...when I'm exhausted after standing for hours in the kitchen, she rubs my feet. I happen to think that she's one of a kind and that I'm the luckiest gal in the world to be sharing my life with her.

So, you ask "How many husbands help/work with your cakes?"...my response is that I'm sure that many of you have wonderful, supportive husbands...but, there are many of us that wonderful, supportive girlfriends too. icon_wink.gif

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #134 of 135

My boyfriend sits and watches with those puppy dog eyes hoping for a lick of icing does that count? lol I am playing he is great! He even eats my chocolate cakes, even though he doesnt really like chocolate!

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #135 of 135

Mine helps. He actually has gotten good at piping shell borders and loves it. He learned just be watching me. He also gets things like foamboard and boxes when needed from hobby lobby.

Speaking of boxes.. those of you who are bake for hobby, where do you get your boxes from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%