50/50 Problem

Decorating By flutist14_99 Updated 21 May 2008 , 11:31am by TammyRiley

flutist14_99 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so whenever, I make 50/50 (half gumpaste half fondant) i end up with all of those little pebbles of gumpaste in the mixture. Is this normal? Oh, I use Satin Ice and wilton ready-to-use gumpaste if that makes a difference.

8 replies
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 9

i think it might need to be kneaded a bit more.

awolf24 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 9

I find that Wilton gumpaste is kind of hard and crumbly on the edges, especially closest to the opening, even if you are opening the package for the first time. (I really need to find other gumpaste to use but I've used it because it is convenient.) Anyway, it helps if you break some of that off and use the softer GP in the middle. And as diane mentioned, make sure you knead it a lot.

Shola Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 9

Ditto awolf24!
The exact same thing happened to me as I'd never used gumpaste before, it was Wilton GP and you have to get rid of the super dry edges so you don't get 'bits' in the mix icon_rolleyes.gif

flutist14_99 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much for your help!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nicki9774 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 9

I need the gum paste a lot more than the fondant. It shouldn't be like pebbles. I think if you need it more. I also add a little glycerin to mine. It helps. Good Luck!

Valli_War Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 9

We had this problem in the fondant and gum paste course. (All of us in the class)
If you don't want to work too much on it, buy the gum-tex and add a teaspoon to half a cup of fondant. It works the same way. It is powder, you just need to work the powder in to the fondant.

Cookies4kids Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:40am
post #8 of 9

My favorite mix is 1 tsp. of Tylose powder to 12 0z. of MMF. Our Wilton instructor gave us that recipe even though she probably wasn't suppose to!!!! I just measure a piece of the fondant and flatten it out some. Then I sprinkle on the Tylose and work it in a bit. Wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it sit overnight. If it is a little stiff sometimes, I just put it in the microwave for a few seconds.
Lily

TammyRiley Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:31am
post #9 of 9

You should try Satin Ice Gumpaste. You'll LOVE it! It is as pliable as their fondant once you kneed it and is great to work with! I still have a bag of Wilton's gumpaste in the cupboard, don't think I'll ever use it again.

Good Luck!
Tammy thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%