Sugarshack - You Rock!!

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 5:46am by sugarshack

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 86

This last weekend I have 2 - 3tiered wedding cakes and 1 - 4tiered wedding cake to do and I just recently received Sugarshacks stacking dvd, so I thought I would give it a try. Found my foamcore (which was 50% off woohoo) and got all my dowels, found a giant pencil sharpener to sharpen the dowels (so much easier then doing it with a knife) the only thing that I could not find was the bubble straws which everyone in my area that I was insane and said that there is not such thing haha, but I found an alternative so that was OKAY. Anyways, did all my cakes, seemed pretty sturdy, the 3 tiered cakes went to their destination fully assembled - not a problem The 4 tiered cake had to be delivered about about 1 hour away from me so I picked up that monster and loaded in the back of my van and we were off. There was a little shaking (which I would assume is normal) but it made it all the way there NO PROBLEM! I was so happy. So much of the time I have so much to do in a day that it is so hard for me to do all of the assembling on site and this was just so fast. Thank you Sharon so much for taking the time to make these instructional dvds, YOU ARE AWESOME!!

85 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 86

I have ordered my Fondant and stacking videos and waiting impatiently for them to arrive, so I can watch them. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 86

I have it but haven't had time to watch. I think I will take a "me" day tomorrow and curl up with the remote and bowl of ice-cream. Anyone care to join me?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 86

Great news! YAY! I take all my cakes stacked, no matter how far, no matter how bad the roads, ROFL.

And yes they shake like jello back there and it gives me a nervous breakdown! but ( knock on wood) they always do fine. My biggest fear is the slamming on the brakes due to some other idiot on the road, you know? Can't control that and it wrecks my nerves! LOL

SO gald you guys are having success; it makes my day to hear your success stories! God is Good!

Melony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melony Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #5 of 86

I agree....Sugarshack is amazing!!!....I love all of her DVD's and highly recommend each and every one of them!!....She is such an inspiration, especially to a newbie like myself....

Melony

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:40am
post #6 of 86

Hear! Hear! I just covered my first square cake with fondant this past weekend, and I re-watched that section of her DVD about 5 times before I did it. Turned out awesome! I just got the stacking DVD but I haven't had time to watch it yet. A day off and a bowl of ice cream ... sounds great!

tdybear1978 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:28am
post #7 of 86

yes I do also get terrified by the other idiots on the road but I have recently ordered car magnets that I put on the back adn sides of my van that say "Wedding cake on board, PLEASE drive carefully" I wanted it to say "wedding cake on board go around if I am going too slow for you" haha but thought that would not be a good idea. I have now gotten all of her dvd's and I have loved them all and learned some great techniques. THANKS AGAIN!!!

tdybear1978 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 86

sugarshack - I am looking into buying a kitchen aid mixer and wanted to know if there is one that you recommend.? Also, I have your buttercream dvd and saw that you use a 5 quart for your icing - I am curious as to how much icing that is, like how many cakes can it cover? thank you

sugarshack Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 86

I only have the 5 quart and love it. Wendy has the 6 and loves it.

I iced the green cake, 6,10,14 squares with 2 batches of icing.

HTH

tdybear1978 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 86

thank you for responding - also (sorry to bother) if my supplier does not have the sweetex shortening that you talk about will any kind of high ratio shortening work as well? I generally get what I call a cube from my supplier and it is just like shortening and all I have to do is add water/flavors and then whip whip whip and about 10 minutes later I have a great icing - however it is very difficult to get it real smooth. It is fine for all the birthday cakes that I do but I would really like something better for my wedding cakes

sugarshack Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 86

yes, any hi ratio will work. I just feel sweetex performs the best of the ones I have tried.

any hi ratio should perform better than store brand (crisco)

disclaimer: I have not tried every hi ratio they make in the world, LOL

tdybear1978 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #12 of 86

well, after sifting thru my product guide from my supplier I did find that they do carry the sweetex. If you don't mind me asking approximately what do you pay for it? My price is looking about $75.00 for a 50# block. Out of curiousity, how long does shortening usually last for? Thank you so much for all your help

sugarshack Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 86

thats a steal right now!

its running 90 plus shipping on the net.

how long it lasts depends upon how many cakes you make!

50 pounds goes a long long way. a couple of months when I am really really busy.

tdybear1978 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:37am
post #14 of 86

okay, thank you so much, I think that I am going to give this a try very soon. have to get me a new mixer first. my current mixer is a 30 quart and I just don't need that much icing at a time haha

sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #15 of 86

keep in touch about it!

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #16 of 86

I just went and bought mine's the day before yesterday and watched them immediately. I got the Fondant and Buttercream dvd. I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to try the techniques, I just need to figure out her Buttercream recipe for a 6QT Kitchen Aid Mixer, Im assuming its just 6 of everything instead of 5... YOU SURE DO ROCK!!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 86

Where can I order sweetex hr shortening?

sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:06pm
post #18 of 86

sweetex:

global
into the oven
bakers wearhouse

here is the 6 quart recipe:

3 lbs sweetex (usse a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuing cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffe mate liquid

cream sweetex and liquids on first speed very well. add half amount of powdered sugar, let mix 30 seconds, then add rest of powdered sugar. scrape sides of bowl very well turn speed up one notch, mix for 9 minutes. scrape sides of bowl around top, mix for 1 minute longer. (Do not turn off mixer durning this scraping!) now, turn off mixer, remove paddle and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 1 hour or longer.

Thanks ya'll! happy to help!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #19 of 86

Thanks

tdybear1978 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #20 of 86

sharon, just out of curiousity, what is the purpose of letting them sit for one hour? what does this do?

sugarshack Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #21 of 86

OH TO LET IT COOL OFF AND STIFFEN UP. oops not yelling, soory LOL

it will be very soft and warm from the mixing and hard to work with.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #22 of 86

The video I ordered was for the fondant and it answered some questions I had and gave me a couple of really good ideas. It is worth every penny and I am looking forward to ordering the Butter Cream one next.

If you have not gotten the Fondant Video, you should take the time to buy it. I must tell you that you need to watch it by yourself... do not have any distractions. Several times I had to replay what was being taught because I let my mind wander for a brief second... you do not want to miss a minute of it.

For those who do fondant already, you may find yourself fast-forwarding your dvd through all the kneading processes, but it was still the best instruction I have seen in a long, long time... highly recommended for all levels of baking.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #23 of 86

grrrrrrrrrrrr, still coveting these videos!!!! someday they will be mine!!!!!!! lol

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm
post #24 of 86

The videos are wonderful, I agree!!! I have a question about the wedding bouquet flavoring in the icing recipe. I haven't ordered any yet so I was wondering if there was a way just to use vanilla- I would think less than the tablespoons of wedding bouquet- would you compensate with more creamer? I have tried creme bouquet and my family wasn't so sold on it so I guess I am a little leary of the wedding bouquet. To keep from rambling any further, my question is- in the icing recipe, does it taste great to use say 6-8 tsp vanilla in place of the wedding bouquet or should I order wedding bouquet immediately because it really is that amazing?!!!

sugarshack Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #25 of 86

I would say YES to both of your last statement!

tdybear1978 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #26 of 86

sugarshack, do you know the watts on your 5 quart kitchen aid? I finally just got one (so pretty heehee) and with a coupon and birthday money I paid like $250 for a 5 quart 325 watt mixer. Then I go over to sam's to pick up some stuff and they have a 5 quart and something like 450 watt for like $30 more. I guess my question is, is it really that big of a difference? Not sure if I should take back what I got to get the other one or am I pretty safe with any kitchen aid I get? thank you so much. Sorry to sound so stupid but this is my first kitchen aid anything and the first time I have spent that much money on a mixer (outside of my commercial ones haha)

sugarshack Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #27 of 86

tdybear, I am not at home (vacation) until the 29th. PM me then and i will go loook for you, OK?

tdybear1978 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 2:35am
post #28 of 86

okay will do, do you (or anyone for that matter) think that it will make that much of a difference? If it seems to be a big deal then I will just take it back tomorrow icon_sad.gif

wjmonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjmonte Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 11:30am
post #29 of 86

i dont think so.....

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #30 of 86

I got to watch half of the Flawless Fondant DVD last nightâ¦(it was really late and I had to go to sleep) and I love it!!!
My cake life has been truly changed with Sharonâs DVDsâ¦heck! My non-cake life has been changed as well,
Iâm a much happier person now after learning such amazing techniquesâ¦If my cakes are pretty Iâm a happier
overall.

Now I got all three DVD and theyâre worth millions to me.

GOD BLESS YOU SHARON!!!!
THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%