Making Fondant Strips

Decorating By auntiejenn Updated 21 May 2008 , 5:01pm by auntiejenn

auntiejenn Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!!!
I am new to using mmf and I am supposed to make a wedding cake that has fondant strips. The wedding is in 2 weeks and the maid of honor wants to decorate the night before icon_eek.gif which terrifies me!! We will have already iced the cake - so my question is - should we make the strips in advance so that they are hardened? and how long does it take until they crust or harden? Is it better to apply them to the cake while they are still soft?

Also - I have heard that after we apply the fondant we can't store in the fridge - is this true to mmf as well - or could we frost and decorate the cake 2 days in advance and still store in the fridge?

I am just trying to save us stress factor - we are both in the wedding so we have other duties as well..... icon_cry.gif any help or advice, ideas etc. very VERY welcome!! This is my first wedding cake - and it is VERY untraditional....

Scared, very very scared
Jenn

3 replies
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 4

you have to work with fondant when it's not hard. if you do...they may crack. icon_wink.gif

mindywith3boys Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

you don't want the MMF too soft, otherwise the stripes will be distorted. I would make up the mmf the night before and let it rest. I would cover it with shortening and cling wrap. Why do you need to refrigerate the cake? Does it have some kind of filling that needs to be refrigerated? Also, I think the best way to move a stripe from the mat to the cake, is to roll it up and unroll it on the cake. ( I wish I'd figured that one out before icon_redface.gif )

auntiejenn Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your help!! I was worried that if we made the strips too far in advance that they would break so I am glad to have that confirmed. Also - what a great idea to roll up the strip and then unroll it on the cake - I will try that!! I am going to make some mmf today and wrap it as suggested so that tomorrow I can play with it and try to get a feel for what we are working with.
We live in California and the weather has been really warm so that is why we were somewhat concerned with refrigerating the cake - but I am sure it will be ok!

Thank you again for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%