I Made an Instruction Sheet for a Crooked Cake!!!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 4:42am by SoFloGuy

pupandbon Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:48pm
post #91 of 132

okay, embarrassed to ask but how does this work with 3 layers instead of just two? what do you do differently? i've been wanting to try this but with this not being just an illusion, i'm confused...

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #92 of 132

Wow! I just found this thread! Thanks Sarsi! I'm looking forward to trying it! icon_biggrin.gif

shawan27 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 4:28pm
post #93 of 132

I tried to make the instructions bigger its not working is there anything else that i can do to make it bigger

meowmix Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #94 of 132

so as of recently i decided to stop buying fondant b/c the taste is resemblance of styrofoam and its very expensive.

i decided to look up cheap, easy fondant recipes that dont have ridiculous ingredients in them.

i tried the marshmallow, water, crisco and powdered sugar deal many times. it has come out the following ways
- crumbly
-greasy
-looks great but wont roll out at all and will go back into its natural ball form.

UGHHH!!!!!!!!! I am getting soooo aggravated and am able to produce much more complicated recipes so i dont understand why i cant do anything with this fondant.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANY POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS AT ALL!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

Debcent Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:31pm
post #95 of 132

WOW!!1 I thought you had to use the carving method> Now I feel inspired to try one of these cakes. Thanks for sharing. Do you think you can make one just using bc no fondant. Or do you think the fondant is neccesary?

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:48am
post #96 of 132

Thanks for these instructions. It definately looks less intimidating than other methods!

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #97 of 132

I made one today !!! WOW took me all day from 11:30 till 7:30(stacking, carving, crumb coating, chilling etc. etc.). The cake structure turned out really nice, However my bottom tier of fondant(wilton) is a nightmare. It was frozen and now is just peeling and sliding off my cake. I never use Wilton but I got 5lbs. for $11.00 so I decided to use it as opposed to my Fondarific. Never will I do that again!!!!!

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #98 of 132

Thanks for the advice. And yes it was a lot of work.

pattyfruits Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:54am
post #99 of 132

thanks alot icon_biggrin.gif

tcwheeler Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:56pm
post #100 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniza

I'm sorry to say that I used this method and it didn't work for me... it looked great on the begining but it collapsed before we got to the b-day party, which was only about 5 miles away.

But, it might be just me... I'll have to try the other method. Thanks anyway.

Have you tried again?

tcwheeler Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:04pm
post #101 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmix

so as of recently i decided to stop buying fondant b/c the taste is resemblance of styrofoam and its very expensive.

i decided to look up cheap, easy fondant recipes that dont have ridiculous ingredients in them.

i tried the marshmallow, water, crisco and powdered sugar deal many times. it has come out the following ways
- crumbly
-greasy
-looks great but wont roll out at all and will go back into its natural ball form.

UGHHH!!!!!!!!! I am getting soooo aggravated and am able to produce much more complicated recipes so i dont understand why i cant do anything with this fondant.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANY POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS AT ALL!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

This is what I use, works well. icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:41pm
post #102 of 132

Meowmix, I'd suggest using the Michele Foster Fondant recipe that's here on CC (I like her old version better, but many swear by her updated version). The trouble with marshmallows is that the ingredients are not consistent between one brand and another and I think that's where the problem is. There are some pretty tasty ready-made fondants out there -- Satin Ice and FondX, to name two. Plus you can substitute one or another flavoring for some of the liquid (orange. vanilla and almond are three of my favorites, especially orange extract because it takes away from the sweetness of the fondant). One thing I'm pretty sure you can't do in Florida is refrigerate the fondant or let it come into contact with a cold cake. Where I live, which has a similar climate, that draws moisture to the fondant and makes it melt and/or sag. Hope this helps and gives you a new lease on using fondant!

infinitsky Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #103 of 132

Thank you for making it easy, I was so scared to try this, but I think I will give it a try. Just a problem, nothing happens when I click on the images. Can you tell me how to enlarge the images?

Marianna46 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #104 of 132

As I just posted on another thread, the weather cooled down here in Cancún over the weekend and I was able to make a cake and coat it with fondant with no dire consequences. I guess any kitchen with AC would do the same (mine doesn't have it), so maybe I was off base suggesting that you'd have the same problem in Miami, meowmix!

kikibakes Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #105 of 132

thanks so much!! icon_smile.gif

cakeE101 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:06am
post #106 of 132

CAN'T WAIT to try it for myself thanks for the instructions

mzhawkins Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #107 of 132

I think the topsy turvy cake is a great specialty cake. But can someone provide me with tips on the best way to cut and serve it. Tips on cutting and serving any cake with stacked construction would be most helpful.

gilby78 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #108 of 132

Wow, that's really cool.

I'm a pastry chef and even I find that recipe appealing.
Here is a link to a great cooking school if you are keen to hone your cake building ability a bit more, I was very happy with it:
http://www.hostec.com/international-academy/certificate-three-patisserie.html

FrenchTouch Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #109 of 132

Thank you very very much for sharing !!!

gilby78 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:13am
post #110 of 132

Cool thanks for that. I hope you cooks out there find it helpful icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:41pm
post #111 of 132

To those having problems with the photos not getting larger, I have no idea why...I thought you could just click on them to get them bigger. If you need, you can PM me your email address and I can email the file to you.

Cakegirl313 Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #112 of 132

Hey Sarsi, I tried clicking on the images to open up the other window but the first two pages wouldn't open. Do you have any suggestions. Thank you so much for posting this. I can't wait to try this.

Sarsi Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #113 of 132

Sure, PM me with your email address and I can send you a Word file! icon_smile.gif

cakesbymark Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #114 of 132

thanks for this thread

sexy_baker Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #115 of 132

Thank you for sharing the instructions Sarsi! I never thought it's just as simple as that. I hope I'll do it right though. icon_smile.gif

meharding Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #116 of 132

Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to make one of these in a couple of weeks and have two questions. 1) Are you using both of the wedges you cut for each of the tiers or just one wedge? 2) Do you think this would survive a 4 hour road trip? Thanks.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:48pm
post #117 of 132

hi thanks for posting the instructions they look great. I'm going to give it a try from these. just wondered though you say you hammer a dowel all the way through. cake boards we have here are too thick to do that and only supposed to use the plastic dowels - any tips on how i can secure them together as I won't get one through the board to the base. Also do you cover the top tier in fondant before putting dowel through as i'm thinking about there being the hole in the top - maybe i'm getting it wrong. any advice appreciated thank you

lil-baker-H Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:42am
post #118 of 132

Fantastic, Just what i was looking for!!

footballdancemom Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #119 of 132

can't find the instructions....I went through the whole post. I did find a link but it says error not found. PLEASE I really need these instructions. PLEASE help me find them. TIA

footballdancemom Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:59am
post #120 of 132

YAY! someone helped me and I found it! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%