I Made An Instruction Sheet For A Crooked Cake!!!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 4:42am by SoFloGuy

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #61 of 132

So glad it is helpful!! I actually just use wooden skewers!! I just cut them to the right length, and they work just great!!! I do use a normal dowel for the center dowel though. I think I usually use 1/4" thick...or something...I don't think it really matters, but you don't want it too thick..

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #62 of 132

I was so happy to find these instructions on how to stack this cake...THANKS!

madewithlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madewithlove Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:45am
post #63 of 132

thanks for the chart, it'll really help.

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #64 of 132

Sarsi - where does the piping gel go? You mentioned the long dowel through all layers and piping gel keeping it all in place. Also, if I wanted to do a 9 inch with a 6 inch top layer, do you think that would look okay? How about if I did a 9,6,3? This post is awesome! THank you very much for helping us all out!

didzydecorator58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didzydecorator58 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #65 of 132

Hi,

I'm a new member and I was just about to post an e-mail about instructions for a crooked cake. Then I came across yours. This is awesome. I need to do this for a friend getting married in April.
Unfortunately, I'm not reaaly great with my computer. Was wondering if you would be willing to e-mail this to me? My e-mail is [email protected]. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Terry

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:53am
post #66 of 132

Thanx, I think I'll jump right in and give it a try!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #67 of 132

Thank you!
I can't wait to try it this summer for a "Group" birthday party ~ it'll fit in great! icon_biggrin.gif

LadyTerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyTerry Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:51pm
post #68 of 132

can someone send me the instructions I just want to try and make it, i love to make different cakes, my email is [email protected]

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #69 of 132

LadyTerry and didzydecorator58 ~ I just sent it your way ~ good luck!

daniza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daniza Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #70 of 132

I'm sorry to say that I used this method and it didn't work for me... it looked great on the begining but it collapsed before we got to the b-day party, which was only about 5 miles away.

But, it might be just me... I'll have to try the other method. Thanks anyway.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:46am
post #71 of 132

I send you copious amounts of gratitude !!! Thank you for this !!!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #72 of 132

Thanks so much!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:05am
post #73 of 132

I am going to try this,but at a party in my house so i'm not driving it anywhere,i'm too scared it might collapse otherwise.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:06am
post #74 of 132

Thanks a lot anyway sarsi

heylucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heylucy Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:16am
post #75 of 132

Can you send me the instructions as well [email protected]

LP4702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LP4702 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:05pm
post #76 of 132

Thanks so much Sarsi!!! I just made my first one, but used the carving method - your way seems much better (and simpler) so will definitely give it a try on my next cake!!!!!!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #77 of 132

These instructions seem so much easier than the carving method. I made my first crooked cake for my daughters birthday yesterday and I used the carving method. But her cake was covered with Buttercream and I read in one of the posts that you would not advise this method with buttercream. I will try it with fondant...will mmf fondant be alright?

Nestley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nestley Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #78 of 132

I am so happy you posted these instructions. Thank you!!

Sarsi Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #79 of 132

Yes!! MMF fondant will be just fine!! Sorry I'm so late at posting, we've been moving...think we're FINALLY settled now!! icon_smile.gif

caincakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caincakemaker Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:56am
post #80 of 132

Hi Sarsi,

Thanks for the info! I made a crooked cake tonight and did everything just like your directions, like I have in the past. The problem is, when I look at it, it bugs me. It looks just like your diagram but notice the sides are very crooked and when you look at other topsy cakes the one side usually ends up straight even though it is stacked crooked. What did I do wrong? I almost feel like I need to prop it up on the long side. Have you had this problem before?

Sarsi Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:35am
post #81 of 132

hmmm...I have not noticed this problem before. Let me look through my photos, but I'm pretty sure the sides are straight. Did you stack the cakes absolutely opposite from each other? Bottom Tier's tall side is directly below short side of top tier?? Lined up in the center??? This COULD be the problem...

Sarsi Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:40am
post #82 of 132

Why don't you take a peek at my crooked cake photos and see if it looks similar to yours. If its possible, you could email me a picture of your cake, or post it in this thread!! [email protected]

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #83 of 132

Sarsi, thanks for posting instructions for this and for your helpful advice on how to get it larger so you can read and print. that was helpful. I am going to be trying this soon because I have a future customer that wants a topsy-turvy cake for her wedding cake and I have never made one so I can practice this for awhile. God bless you. icon_smile.gif

Cakelady232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady232 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #84 of 132

Thank you but I would like to ask for clarification on the dowel height for the bottom layer........they are to be the same length?

Sarsi Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #85 of 132

You're welcome!!

Cakelady232- The dowels are to be the same height as the cake is. They should be flush with the top of the cake. All four dowels will not be the SAME height as the cake is tapered on top. Hope this helps clarify...let me know if I didn't make sense! icon_biggrin.gif

Escaliba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Escaliba Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #86 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

My friend's mom asked me how to make a crooked cake, so I drew this up for her. Thought I'd share it with all of you:

Many thanks for the very clear & excellent instructions.
Intend to give it a go next week!

KANNIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KANNIE Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:57pm
post #87 of 132

I am currently making a cake a week..starting a new "small" buisness (for family and friends).. I have been using cake mixes from boxes.. I just can't get them to stay together in topsy turvy cakes .. etc.. does anyone have a great tasting denser cake?? or any ideas??

falling apart!

Neurochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neurochick Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:44pm
post #88 of 132

my 15 birthday is in a month and i wanted to do a crooked cake but its a family only thing and not many are coming. i was wondering if i could use styrofoam with method to make a "fake cake" with one cake layer in it so i can get the size i want without making so much cake???

cmeventcoordinator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeventcoordinator Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:17am
post #89 of 132

Been needing directions that are easy to follow

Rachel8648 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel8648 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #90 of 132

thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%