Baking...hobby That Can Make You Money!

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 20 May 2008 , 8:36pm by Mike1394

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 12

I just read this on Yahoo News, its a list of 6 hobbies that can make you money, baking is the first on the list.
I'm really not sure how I feel about this, does this mean everyone who bakes for fun can have a business?

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/105072/6-Hobbies-That-Can-Make-You-Money

11 replies
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 12

Ok I just realized what I don't like about the article, it does'nt mention anywhere the legal requirments for starting a food business.
The lady they profiled is in Tx, I am too and I know you can not bake from home (the article specifically says she operates from home).
The article just makes it seem like anyone can start a cake business all willy nilly.

Mike1394 Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 12

Here is what I wrote Bankrate.com.
Mike

IRRESPONSIBLE aritcle. You listed Home baking as a viable way to make extra $$$. The person that wrote the article have they checked to the food laws? I wonder if someone takes your article, poisons someone, gets sued, will you be named in the law suit as well?

HerBoudoir Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 12

Lots of incorrect information on that article. One other glaring issue is regarding bird breeding - I've never seen a cockatiel cost as much as $500 (I've had tiels as pets for 25 years), and the pricing on their other birds is off as well.

Mike1394 Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

Lots of incorrect information on that article. One other glaring issue is regarding bird breeding - I've never seen a cockatiel cost as much as $500 (I've had tiels as pets for 25 years), and the pricing on their other birds is off as well.

Your VERY correct. I'm trying to sell some Macaws. I wish I could find someone willing to pay 500 for a Tiel.

Mike

leah_s Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 12

Hey Mike, got the email address for bankrate? If we could generate a few hundred emails, we could wake them up.

Mike1394 Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Hey Mike, got the email address for bankrate? If we could generate a few hundred emails, we could wake them up.

I just went to the article clicked on Bankrate. When it redirected I went the "contact us" at the bottom of the page. It will give a generic form. I hope they call me.

Mike

GeminiRJ Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 12

I've seen other articles like this one, and they make it sound like no big deal to start up a cake decorating business. (Hey, all you need is a bit of talent and maybe a decorating class or two.) Obviously, they haven't a clue about what happens in the real world!

playingwithsugar Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 12

The same article was published on AOL News recently. I copied it and pasted it to a document for future reference.

The AOL article would not let me link it to a thread, so thanks for sharing this with the group.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cynita Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 12

The writer clearly said, "turn your hobby into a business." I took that as take all the necessary steps to make your hobby into a legitimate business and then make money from it. I could be wrong. I just saw it another way. The title does imply that you can make money from your hobby, but in the first couple of paragraphs he is saying to turn that hobby into a business.

Cynita

KathysCC Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynita

The writer clearly said, "turn your hobby into a business." I took that as take all the necessary steps to make your hobby into a legitimate business and then make money from it. I could be wrong. I just saw it another way. The title does imply that you can make money from your hobby, but in the first couple of paragraphs he is saying to turn that hobby into a business.

Cynita

Thank you Cynita, you said what I was thinking. icon_smile.gif It does not speak well of our CC community to flood someone with emails when you do not know the whole story. The article did not state whether the cake decorator was legal or not. Some states will license home bakers who have a separate building on their property. That decorator may even be a member here. Let's be careful. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynita

Cynita

Thank you Cynita, you said what I was thinking. icon_smile.gif It does not speak well of our CC community to flood someone with emails when you do not know the whole story. The article did not state whether the cake decorator was legal or not. Some states will license home bakers who have a separate building on their property. That decorator may even be a member here. Let's be careful. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I know you didn't refer to me when you said about flooding with emails. The way that article is written. It leads someone with a 1/2 baked idea they can cater a party. If your not careful your going to make someone very sick. I wasn't referring to the decorator at all. I think it was a very irresponsible article.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%