What's The Best Way To Make Black Fondant???

Decorating By janicecold Updated 22 May 2008 , 6:10pm by janicecold

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 21

I need to make a cake for the weekend and they want a Mickey Mouse theme for it and well of course Mickey is black! Should I start with burgandy or another dark color and then add black or just keep adding black food coloring?? The thing about constantly adding food coloring the fondant starts to get stickier and tougher to work with.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

20 replies
jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 21

You can start with chocolate fondant and then add black color. It will still take a lot of black.

Jo

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 21

I'd also like to note that as it gets stickier, add cornstarch.

And when I start with chocolate fondant I've noticed that I don't always need as much as I put in it, because also, when you let it sit, the color deepens.

janicecold Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 21

If you add cornstartch would it lighten up the fondant or will it stay dark?? Just curious!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 21

the cornstarch really doesn't ighten it up (as far as my experience). The fondant absorbs the cornstarch. Just make sure to mix in all the cornstarch otherwise it will look 'powdery'.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 21

I would not add cornstarch, but much prefer adding powdered sugar as you will not lose the sweetness and change the flavor in the icing as much.

I also use Americolor for a good coverage. As for starting out with a different color, that is entirely to your liking, what undertone do you want blue, red, or green gotta think about that as every black is not true black.

RMF73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RMF73 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 21

or you can use powdered sugar instead of cornstarch.

RMF73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RMF73 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 21

or you can use powdered sugar instead of cornstarch.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 21

Why not just buy some. I don't try to make red or black! I just buy the precolored satin ice.

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 21

I love the black from Satin Ice.

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 21

I paint my fondant rather than try and mix colors into it. Such a pain!!! If you don't have an airbrush then you can take some high alcohol liquid and mix it with your gel food color, and paint it on. I have found that lemon extract works the best!

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 21

I hate black fondant. I've gotten to where i only airbrush or paint it on. If i have to mix it I only to small quantities at a time.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 21

Make sure that when you color it black to let it sit overnight. I always gets darker when it sets overnight.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 21

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the header on the front page was, buy ready made black or airbrush it black. Major PIA to colour fondant and BC for that matter black. I have a MM cake in my photos which I used two Wilton tubs of black plus a good amount of Americolor too to get the icing dark enough. It is really worth colouring and letting it sit for a few hours, the colour deepens over time.

janicecold Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 21

I wish I could buy Americolor food coloring here but I cannot buy it out here. I also wish that there was a place that sold SatinIce fondant also out here but I cannot which really sucks!! All I could get out here is the wiltons black and I will not ever buy that stuff, it tastes awefull! I used Wilton's once and never again!

BakingGirl Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 21

I can't get any cake decorating supplies where I live so I have to order everything online. I order most from KitchencraftUSA online, fondant I get from IntotheOven. Both have quick shipping but I guess it is probably a bit tight for a cake for this weekend. Good luck, hope it goes well.

twooten173 Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:22am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by venefica

I paint my fondant rather than try and mix colors into it. Such a pain!!! If you don't have an airbrush then you can take some high alcohol liquid and mix it with your gel food color, and paint it on. I have found that lemon extract works the best!

Whatis high alcohol liquid? icon_confused.gif

BakingGirl Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #18 of 21

Liquid with a high alcohol content, which means it has a low water content. Lemon extract is almost pure alcohol which means it evaporates quickly and does not make your fondant shiny and sticky. You can also use other clear spirits such as vodka.

twooten173 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:09pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

Liquid with a high alcohol content, which means it has a low water content. Lemon extract is almost pure alcohol which means it evaporates quickly and does not make your fondant shiny and sticky. You can also use other clear spirits such as vodka.

Really icon_eek.gif ... boy I don't know anything! Thanks. I'm trying it today.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:46pm
post #20 of 21

Have you thought of using candy clay? I had to make black fondant recently and ended up using candy clay. It worked great! The pic is in my gallery, its the WWE cake.

All I did was use a few toothpicks of black when the clay was in its liquid form. It didnt take much at all and no one could taste it.

janicecold Posted 22 May 2008 , 6:10pm
post #21 of 21

I never thought of making it with candy clay! That could work.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%