Sugar Free

Decorating By babydbones Updated 21 May 2008 , 3:52pm by levinea

babydbones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babydbones Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 4

I need to make a sugar free cake? What do I do? LOL. The girl said maybe splenda tho? But I'm clueless. TIA!!!

3 replies
levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 4

Splenda works well for most cake recipes. It's not the cake that's a problem - coming up with low sugar/sugar free frosting is the real kicker! I bake with Splenda more often than not, and all my scratch cakes come out fine.

P.S...you might want to ask if it has to be sugar-free, or if low-sugar/reduced-sugar is acceptable. It that's okay, then you can use Splenda for Baking, or do a mixture of regular sugar and sugar substitutes. Several cake mixes are also now available in Reduced Sugar.

babydbones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babydbones Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 4

the frosting can be either sugar free or low sugar. do you have a good recipe for that?

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 4

Sugar free icing as a category is just not all that great, but a CC member posted this one a while back, and it's the best I've ever tried. You can pipe and decorate with it, but make sure it is COLD or your decorations will be runny. And you will need to refrigerate your cake afterward.

1 pint Whipping Cream
1 box Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding
2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese
3 T Splenda

Whip Whipping Cream in cold bowl until stiff (chill your bowl and paddle well before whipping the cream).

Add softened cream cheese, pudding mix and Splenda. Mix on medium speed until well blended.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%