Deep Burgandy Gumpaste, Is It Possible?

Decorating By kaseynh Updated 20 May 2008 , 4:12pm by newmansmom2004

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 3

I have a wedding cake to do for early December and the couple wants deep burgandy poinsettias. Is it possible to achieve this color? I do not have an airbrush so I would have to color the gumpaste. Any help or advise is welcome. Thank you!

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 3

I would color the paste red or pink. Then using powder color brush on the deep burgundy color. The different color underneath will give your flower some depth.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 3

Kasey, YES you can get deep burgundy gumpaste without airbrushing. I had to do a graduation cake with marroon as the accent color. I ended up making the cap/mortarboard from gumpaste and all the piped icing in the marroon color. I used the Americolors gel coloring in marroon but you could add a bit of purple to get a burgundy color - or check to see if Americolors makes burgundy. I made the gumpaste several days ahead and let it sit to allow the color to really mix in and darken and it was perfect.

I've also used the Americolors in navy blue to do some 4th of July cupcakes and the color was gorgeous! HTH.

Julie
San Antonio

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%