What Went Wrong With Caramel?

Decorating By msmanning2 Updated 20 May 2008 , 7:09pm by lnb19

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 7

I made the thick carmamel sauce or filling recipe from this site for a filling of a WASC cake. After I made it, it tasted great and it was delicious. When I cut the cake yesterday, the caramel was so hard that it was hard to cut thru because it was hard (not rock hard though). Did I boil it too long? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks!

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 7

did you refrigerate the cake? If so that would do it, otherwise you cooked the caramel sauce too long

msmanning2 Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 7

I did refridgerate it because I used smbc for the frosting but I took it out and let it come to room temp. Does that not matter when you fridge caramel like that? Thanks~

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 7

One of two things likely happened. You could have cooked the sugar to the hard crack stage. As it cooled it hardened and putting it in the fridge would have really set it up. Or... it might not have had enough time to soften. The caramel would take longer to soften than the cake to come to room temp.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

I posted a caramel recipe (don't know if that's the one you used), but, even when it's cold right from the fridge you can still spoon it up. You should only cook caramel to the soft ball stage, which is 238 degrees. If you cook it beyond that it will be hard.

Jodie

msmanning2 Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 7

I think I cooked it too long. I need to go out and buy a new candy thermometer. I think the one I have is not very good. Thanks I will try again with this recipe because it did taste so good!

lnb19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnb19 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 7

msmanning2, which recipe did you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%