Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By Shanna Updated 20 May 2008 , 1:18pm by bambuf

Shanna Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 5

I am making an Elmo cake for my daughter's birthday and would like to use a FBCT (design from her party napkins). I don't want to wait until the morning of the party to make and to freeze the design -- just in case it doesn't work out (breakage, etc...). Can a FBCT be made and frozen 3 or 4 days before actually applying it to the cake? I know a FBCT doesn't take all that long to freeze, so if it's frozen for a longer period of time, are there any greater risks that it won't turn out the way it should?

Any help/advice is appreciated since I've only done one transfer in the past, and that was a couple of years ago.

Shanna

4 replies
bambuf Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 5

In my experience, the longer your freeze it, the better it holds up. Go ahead and make it up a few days early. Just make sure that after it has frozen, that you put it in an airtight container so that it doesn't absorb smells from your freezer. HTH!

jadak Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 5

I made my first one recently for my son's b-day. I made it about 6 days before the party (I was worried it might not turn out and I'd need time to do it over). Anyway, I liked the way it looked, so I kept it in the freezer. It looked/tasted great 6 days later when it finally went onto his cupcake cake. HTH

apetricek Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 5

I am new to this FBCT how exactly do you do this? I normally just free hand everything onto the cake directly...but is this something easier to do? Any help or instructions PLEASE!

bambuf Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 5

There is a great FBCT tutorial in the articles section. But hey, if you can free hand, you don't need it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%