Looking For Input On A Planned Cake. First One!

Decorating By sweetxallure Updated 20 May 2008 , 8:43pm by robinscakes

sweetxallure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetxallure Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:57am
post #1 of 8

Sorry for the long title. Anyways, I've been researching cake making and decorating for months, but couldn't start due to $.. Well I'm out of school and back to working now!

Next week is my mother's bday and I really want to make her a special cake. She LOVES beaches, so my first idea was to make her a beach cake.. then one *verylate* night, I was going through the galleries, and saw a flipflop cake! She has to have that, lol I REALLY wanna make a 9x13 sand cake, then two flip flops cut from one 9x13, placed on top of the beach. First, I want to know if it would require support to do that? I think each will only be one layer, but I do want to torte each.

Ideally, I want to do those 3 cakes total. Here are the recipes I have in mind.. I am soso welcome to input on my chosen recipes and suggestions for different ones. Anything, really! I've never made a totally from scratch cake.

I'm planning on using just one cake mix for both 9x13's. She only likes yellow cake. This is the one I chose:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1251-41-One---Two---Three---Four-Cake-IV.html

I'm planning to use the same BC frosting for the entire cake, but in different colors of course =) Will this be a good BC to use to frost three cakes? I also want to pipe some drop flowers on the straps of my flip flops, will I be able to use this BC for that too?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-51-Buttercream-Dream.html

Then, I want to add a filling to each cake. For the flip flops, I want one to have:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3373-62-Easy-pineapple-filling.html

the other to be:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1928-135-Strawberry-Cream-Cake-Filling.html

andd if I can do the beach 9x13 under them, I want that to be filled with:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5773-101-Oreo-Filling.html

Please if you think any of this won't mesh, or have an idea for something different, I'm totally open! I'm planning on making this cake a day ahead and putting it in the fridge until the day of. Will this be acceptable? I'm going to look for a cake box to put it into.

Also, I only have one 13x9 pan, do you think that would be okay? I figured I could make the bottom one, then while preparing that, cook the flip flop sheet.. or even do the flip flops first (in case it doesn't turn out) and freeze those while I prepare the beach.

I purchased a wilton leveler, my cake pan, the tips I think I'll need for my decorations I'm planning on, some Sweetex for my BC, and I'm going to buy a fondant smoother and do both the paper towel method & the upside down method to get my BC smooth. I'm also going to practice with the tips the day before I try making the cake icon_smile.gif

Input, ideas, suggestions. I'm sorry for the length of this, but I just wanted to be thorough, and I want to go into this as prepared as I can be, lol Thank you all sooo much for this website and your contributions. Oh, and hi to everyone, since this is my first post! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
sweetxallure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetxallure Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 8

Bump? I would really, really appreciate some input. icon_smile.gif

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 8

Wow! That's a lot to take on for a first cake! You may feel quite overwhelmed trying all those new things at once.

I don't have all of the answers. But, I'll share what I do know (which may not be a lot icon_redface.gif )

I do not scratch bake. I have three boys and I don't have the time. I just doctor cake mixes. It tastes yummy and I get lots of complements, so they must not taste too bad... icon_wink.gif I use Sugarshacks icine recipe and techniques. I have "heard that the upside down method doesn't really work so well, and to me, it just seems like a lot of unnecessary work. I don't like the taste of butter in my icing (although I know a lot of people do) To me it tastes too rich and it almost gags me. Almost like taking a bite out of a stick of butter dipped in sugar. tapedshut.gif

I don't think that you will need support for your cake. If it's only two layers total. You wouldn't use support for a two layer cake (even torted) If however, you are doing different flavors and you want to separate them before you serve them, the by all means put a cake board between them and throw a few dowels under it. I'm not sure where you livem but if you have a GFS (Gordon food service) near you, Rich's Bettercream is is a really nice filling. You can add anything to it (Oreo, pineapple, any flavoring you want) It's like whipped cream, but more stable and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. When you are filling layers, make sure you use a damn (Buttercream with lots of extra powdered sugar to make it really stiff) That way the filling won't leak out.

I think the 9X13 would be fine. I would just draw a template out of paper the shape that I wanted the flip flops to be and cut the cake around the paper. I havent seen the cake you are planning one making, but I find marshmallow fondant much easier to work with and nicer looking than drop flowers. (which can be made out of buttercream)

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 8

this sounds like it'll turn out to be a nice cake-atleast you're planning ahead and that's a big step when you want it to turn out.i agree that if you keep each layer only one (regardless of if you torte or not) you wouldn't need support. the template is an excellent idea also, no wasted cake that way.have you gone through the cookies gallery for flipflop ideas, there's lots and could make a good visual for a cake idea. if it's your first cake though i would try to keep it simple-it'll be less frustrating for you. don't forget to post pics!!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 8

I love how excited you are about this cake. Your enthusiasm is going to make it turn out so special...I just know it. Now, I am noooooooo expert and I have a lot to learn, but here are my reponses to some parts of your post: HTH

Baking the cakes separately due to having just one pan is NO problem. You can freeze one or leave it out (as long as it's just a day or two and not filled) or stick it in the fridge. I think it'd be wise to use the first cake baked for the flip flops....in case the carving doesn't go well. For the carving, I'd recommend making a template to help guide your carving. Once they're the shape you want, you can torte/fill, crumb coat them, then stick them in the fridge. By then your other cake will be ready for its work. Get them all decorated and then set up. I do not think you will need supports unless you're traveling a long way with this cake. Especially if you plan to do it a day in advance and leave it in your fridge overnight. That should help the BC set well and firm up your fillings.

Speaking of flavors/fillings, yours all sound delicious and great for a summery cake. I will say the recipe you posted might need to be doubled. I've never made it, but I'm afraid it might not make you enough batter to make 2 in. high 9x13's, but I might be wrong. I would be using mixes, so I can't help a lot there.

It sounds as if you've thought this through and have a picture of what you want to do. That's great and it always helps me when I can visualize what I want. However, please do not be discouraged if you see flaws or the finished product isn't exactly as you planned. You Mom will LOVE LOVE LOVE this cake and others will be thrilled with it as well. I hope I have helped to answer some of your questions. If you have more, post again or fell free to pm me if you want to. I look forward to seeing your completed cake. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 8

I tried the upside method and didn't have any luck with it. I use melvira's roller method and it works every time (just be sure to get the high density roller).

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 8

just a couple things from me here icon_smile.gif You can use the flip flop pattern on here under sketches and patterns, print it out to the size you want. I would bake the "shoe" layer and freeze it before carving it. Place your templates on the frozen layer and then carve, you will find it works better to carve it frozen so you aren't dragging your knife and losing cake chunks. I have done a couple of flops and I usually bake mine in 8 or 10 inch square and carve from it, but is up to you. I wouldn't worry about support if you are using only 1 mix each and not double layering. If you are worried about it, then use a straw at the back and front of each flop trimmed to hide in the icing, it should be fine. Also, just a tip, I use licorice sticks for my straps on my flops... you can find them in many flavors and colors... good luck to you!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 8

I've done a couple flip flops, and I guess I made it a bit easier. I just baked a 1/2 sheet pan, cut it in half, spread my filling, sandwiched them together, carved it out (no template--just looked at my daughter's flip flop), and frosted it. It really took no time at all, and I wouldn't say I'm an expert decorator or anything. I made a strap out of gumpaste and decorated with buttercream flowers. I guess since you only have one pan you may want to freeze the flip flop first and work on the rest. Otherwise, if you can get your hands on a couple more pans, you can probably do it all at once. Good luck with your cake! I'm sure she'll love it!

This is one of my flip flops in case you're interested: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1198349

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%