Can Fondant Spoil?

Decorating By Mae1118 Updated 20 May 2008 , 5:41pm by imaginecakes

Mae1118 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:41am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I know from what I have read that Wilton fondant tastes terrible. Maybe I just didn't realize how bad it really is. I am fairly new to using fondant, but so far I have only used homemade because I heard such bad things about the Wilton. I did buy a pack of it about a year ago, but never ended up using it. I am now taking the Wilton Course 3, and since I didn't have time to make a lot of fondant, I figured I would just use the pack that I had for the flowers on my final cake, but I would cover the cakes in my homemade fondant. The package was still sealed and didn't have a date on it, so I figured it was fine, but it smells and tastes like it is rancid. Is it really this bad normally, or is it possible that it is just too old? Thanks!

3 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:53am
post #2 of 4

It's probably gone bad. I don't like Wilton fondant, but I wouldn't call its normal taste "rancid". I'd toss it.

Mae1118 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, Ruth! The smell is kind of like when I have had vegetable oil for a long time and it gets that bitter sort of taste/smell, not so much the really gross rancid that butter gets when it turns. My guess is that maybe the shortening in the fondant is just a little too old? I guess I will try to buy some more, and see if it seems better. I have 2 small children, so just to run out to the store is a big time commitment and requires planning, but will still probably take less time than making more of my own. Oh well!

Has anyone else out there ever had this problem? How do you store unused fondant if you buy it or if you make your own?

imaginecakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 4

I may be inclined to say that it is just the normal smell of Wilton's. I had a package of Wilton Fondant around for probably two years or so to use on syrofoam dummies, and I used it a few weeks ago and it was fine. It has a VERY noticeable "cemicaly" smell all on it's on. It has definitely never smelled edible to me! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%