Assembling A Cake For A Mobile Display Unit

Decorating By mamajan61 Updated 21 May 2008 , 3:28pm by christinapp

mamajan61 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:28am
post #1 of 6

I am so excited.... I have been given the opportunity to set up a display unit that will be driven around in the back of a mobile advertising truck. This truck is awesome.... Here's my problem.... What do I cover the dummy cake with? Fondant? or Royal Icing?....

This truck is somewhat climate controlled, but at the same time it is mobile. I'm not sure which one will stand up to the movement... and of course, the Mississippi heat... But to be honest, this is the opportunity of a life time. The owner is going to ride my cake display around town for FREE....

I really need some advice on this project... I've never attempted anything to this magnitude.... He wants the cake to be HUGE.... so I really need to know what to do....

Thanks guys... y'all are the greatest!!!

Oh, by the way... Paula Deen opens up her Buffet Restaurant at Harrah's in Tunica, Mississippi on Friday the 23rd... I'm gonna be there with the local radio station... YAY!!!!!

5 replies
mamajan61 Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 6

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

mamajan61 Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 6

I guess my request is invisible.... Thanks anyway...

herdream Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 6

Im sorry I cant offer any suggestions to you, but congratulations on your new project!!!! Seems very exciting! Also, congrats on the restaurant opening with Paula Deen!

Mike1394 Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6

I would do fondant. Fondant might be able to take the beating better than royal. For support I would use acrylic rod.

christinapp Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 6

Since this is for display you will be using dummy cakes of course, so I would cover with fondant. If its stack construction I would use some kind of foam glue to stick the cakes on top each other.(just cut away a small portion of the fondant on the bottom cake ,where the top cake will be placed, to apply glue).This will ensure stability with all the movement that takes place on the truck. Make all decortions in gumpaste as it dries very hard. use a tylose/ water glue to stick your decoratins to cake.

I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%