Covering Cake Boards

Decorating By deetmar Updated 21 May 2008 , 12:30am by lutie

deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 8

Usually I cover my boards with fondant, put a ribbon around the base, do a little decorating on the part that is seen, a Happy Birthday, here and there, a few scrolls, done with it.

This time I decided to get some really cool scrapbooking paper, cover the board, cover the paper with contact paper, ribbon around the base. I am not loving it. Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas.

I am doing a retirement cake for a big wig at Pioneer, corn that is, and I want it to be special. I downloaded the Pioneer world map, had it enlarged, cut it out, so on and so forth. I think it looks cheap.

As in my other post, just not very creative right now. Any help please!?!

7 replies
deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 8

any ideas?

havingfun Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 8

What do you not love? Your choice of paper? Your technique? Just the whole thing?? I do this all the time and have loved the creative aspect of matching the paper to the cake design.

jlo6024 Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 8

I use scrapbook paper, etc alot too and love it! I think it's easier to personalize the cake that way. I think the world map thing sounds like a great idea for the cake you're making!

grama_j Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 8

Shoot.....I thought you had it in your photos...... it SOUNDS like it would be great..... I don't know what part you don't like.

cwcopeland Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #6 of 8

I love using contact paper on my boards. The possibilities are endless with the kind of paper you can use. Like the other posters, I don't know why you wouldn't be happy with your board.

My question is this: What kind of scrapbooking paper are ya'll talking about? I've only seen the precut squares at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Are there bigger rolls? I'm not a scrapbooking person....

deetmar Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #7 of 8

I think maybe it's the contact paper. I think I am going to stick with the idea, and try to cut the contact paper a little neater. My husband loves it, so it's probably just me.

lutie Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #8 of 8

I cover my Masonite cake boards with beautiful wrapping papers that go with the theme of the party, etc. The only problem I have found in my area is the clear contact paper only comes in 18 inch widths and it is just not quite enough to wrap around my 18 inch boards... I wish I could find it wider. You have the creative ideas... do not be so hard on yourself! What a great idea about the map paper... could I borrow that idea for a later use? If you think it still is not up to your standard of your "mind's eye", then add something more... on a groom's cake recently, I threw out wrapped caramel kisses and chocolate kisses on the brown swirly paper (it was a Ghirardelli caramel chocolate cake) and it "finished off" the look. You are on the right track. Sometimes it becomes so "expected" to have those silver-plated round and/or square stands underneath... I think they fight for the attention of the beautiful cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%