Need Advice Fast!! Wedding Cake Fell Please Help Long

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 20 May 2008 , 11:47pm by confectionaryperfection

rachpizano Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:02am
post #1 of 7

I have been decorating cakes for 6 six years and never had a wedding cake fall until last SAT. I'm still so upset about it. I made this beautiful wedding cake out of butter-cream. It was flawless!! My husband made the delivery for me because I was trying to finish another wedding cake. He left and in ten minute came flying back with the cake in pieces. My husband put the cake in a box that was too big without a grip pad. The cake slide into the side of the box, stopped suddenly, and fell over. It was our fault. Luckily the bottom tier was the only one we could not fix. I just happen to have a "dummy" cake on the self that was the same size as the base. I decorated it like the rest of the cake and then redecorated the other tiers. I then stacked everything together. I also happen to have a sheet cake made of the same flavor as the base tier that feel apart so I used that as a supplement and decorated it the same as the wedding cake. The cake looked like the wedding cake that they ordered, not as flawless, but still nice. Worst of all, this happened on Sat and I still have not heard from the bride though I have made 3 calls and left messages. So either she is REALLY REALLY mad or she is fine with everything and doesn't care. What should I do I still haven't explained what happened to her because I haven't spoken to her. I didn't just want to tell the cater what happened and let them tell the bride and I didn;t want to call her and tell her that the reason I was running late is because her wedding cake fell over. So I have not been able to explain myself to her yet at all. I am so stressed out over it. Should I email her and explain everything through an email? What should I do?

6 replies
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #2 of 7

sorry that happen.
i would wait until she calls you. she probably has no idea what happened. if she does call, just explain to her what happened. if she asks for a refund, i would give her a partial refund, maybe just for the one you had to replace as a dummy. hope everything works out for you. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

rachpizano Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

thanks for your reply I am trying to do that I am just sooooo stressed out over it.

sweetcakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:31am
post #4 of 7

its unfortunate what happened but it seems to me you fixed it up really well. i suspect she is on her honeymoon right now, and if they had been really upset she would have got her mother or mil to call you right away. i would wait to see if she contacts you once she returns. she did have a cake after all with all the servings she had ordered, it just so happened that the bottom tier ended up being a dummy cake. so try not to worry, it will make you sick.

CakeInfatuation Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:29am
post #5 of 7

My guess is that she's on her honeymoon and the cake is the very last thing on her mind. If she had enough servings for all her guests and the cake didn't appear to have any problems, you are likely fine.

Wait till she calls you back. I can only imagine how your stomach is tied up in knots. But if she was really mad, I'm sure you'd have heard about it by now. She wouldn't ignore you. She'd probably give you an ear full!

dandy207 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 7

I bet she is on her honeymoon, Dont stress over it. All you can do is learn from it, I had a cake disaster alittle while back and I learned ALOT. I worried about it for the next month, and even had nightmares of cakes falling! LOL Funny huh? But true! Its aweful, but its only 1 cake, and you were able to fix it. Dont worry

confectionaryperfection Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 7

i wouldnt worry unless she didnt know it was a fake layer and tried to cut into it and got a bad wedding video. or a funny one LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%