A White House Wedding Cake And Pentagon Groom's Cake???

Business By jewelykaye Updated 24 May 2008 , 2:10am by vickster

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 21

I had a call about getting a white house wedding cake and a pentagon groom's cake for July 4th 2009.

What would you charge per slice?

My prices start out at $2/slice for buttercream and $3/slice for fondant.

Thanks!

20 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #2 of 21

My first thought was $8502034957658342 per slice.

Seriously, with all the detail that's going to be required, I'd suggest double your usual price.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:11am
post #3 of 21

These are very detailed, recognizable structions. I wouldn't do it. I have no skill with structures.

But Leahs is right, double the price, if you think you can put these two monsters together.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:52am
post #4 of 21

This is the type of cake that you DO NOT charge "by the slice" because of the sheer amount of time that both cakes are going to take you to create. I think a lot is going to depend on the size and scale of the cakes. Do not be afraid to charge for it!!!!!!! You WILL resent it if you undercharge on this one... Also, chances are good that you're going to be doing a good chunk of both cakes in foam instead of real so you've got to plan that part of things in...

I'd go $1200-$2300 for the Capitol and $1850 on the pentagon (remember, it's not ONE structure, but 5!!)

Good luck!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 21

Leahs, I am laughing so hard at your price quote right now...

Don't charge this one by the serving, you'll get totally ripped off. These are going to take forever and it doesn't matter how small they want it, the time to make them recognizable is going to be the same no matter whether it's 10 servings or 100.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 21

Ok totally off subject but I'm from Spring Tx too!
I went to Klein HS and grew up in Champions Forest, small world huh?
Were in Spring are you?

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 21

Sounds like these are the types of cake Mike's Amazing Cakes can do..
These are not only very detailed , but also very huge..these would require so much time and work to make.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 21

I suppose they wanted it to serve 50 too!

I am with Leah. You can't charge enough for cakes like this.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Seriously, with all the detail that's going to be required, I'd suggest double your usual price.

I Concure!!

Beth in KY

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 21

The base price for a sculpted cake is how many batters it takes to make. They you must add in your icing and fondant costs. Then the ala carte prices are charged for detail.

I agree with all of the above - you either will need to double your price (at least), or give them Duff's number.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fondantgrl Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 21

Here is a White House Cake made by Collette Peters...is this what you will be making ? WOW .. show us a photo when you're done. thumbs_up.gif
LL

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:

Absolutely right! LOL icon_lol.gif
I too concur!

jewelykaye Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:

That's what I was thinking when I first heard about it. Which is why I jumped onto CC to get you guys awesome advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

This is the type of cake that you DO NOT charge "by the slice" because of the sheer amount of time that both cakes are going to take you to create. I think a lot is going to depend on the size and scale of the cakes. Do not be afraid to charge for it!!!!!!! You WILL resent it if you undercharge on this one... Also, chances are good that you're going to be doing a good chunk of both cakes in foam instead of real so you've got to plan that part of things in...

I'd go $1200-$2300 for the Capitol and $1850 on the pentagon (remember, it's not ONE structure, but 5!!)

Good luck!!!

That's a good point. I think I will just have to charge a flat rate. I was thinking of maybe offering a couple different options that would have more or less detail depending on price. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturiere

I suppose they wanted it to serve 50 too!

I am with Leah. You can't charge enough for cakes like this.

Lol...no they want it to serve a whole 100...(sarcasm)...Yeah so I'm thinking part of the White House is going to have to be styrofoam. I don't know. I need to send this lady a couple quotes tonight and my head is spinning trying to think of other options.

When I talked to the bride to be today I told her this was going to signifigantly more expensive that a regular wedding cake. She said she understood that but at least the groom's cake is easy... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

If it's so darn easy then you make it! Lol...

fondantgrl Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 21

If she thinks it is easy, then she should make it... It's easier said than done.

But I have a serious question for you, are you able to do this ? Like the one Colette Peters did it ? I would be very nervous. But I'm sure you would not say yes if you didn't have the skill to make these cakes.

jewelykaye Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:12pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

If she thinks it is easy, then she should make it... It's easier said than done.

But I have a serious question for you, are you able to do this ? Like the one Colette Peters did it ? I would be very nervous. But I'm sure you would not say yes if you didn't have the skill to make these cakes.

Yes, I definitely think I can do it. Lol...Don't pay attention to the cakes in my photos, I haven't updated in a while. I mean it's not going to be easy but I would love to do it and I would love to have it in my portfolio. I would never take on a cake I didn't think I could do... like a realistic person's face or something. Thanks for the advice though! icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

I was thinking the same thing. Don't do it unless you know you can, or you'll be drive yourself crazy and probably be underpaid for all the time and work you put in! I have a love hate relationship with sculpted cakes!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:18pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:

yeah that sounds pretty right on target to me! thumbs_up.gificon_rolleyes.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 21

Oh... I just re read the original and saw where the cake was for 2009. You'll have plenty of time to get the design perfected by then. thumbs_up.gif

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 21

Yup, I was going to send the Colette Peters cake too. They have a minimum order of $1000, but I don't think she charged $1000 for that. You'll have to make real tiny replicas of each to feed just 100 people.
I like your "price depending on the details" option, though. 'Looking forward to seeing the final outcome!

jewelykaye Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 21

Okay so I sent a quote to her and spoke with her on the phone. She didn't seemed phased by the quote at all.

I quoted $2250 for Option #1, extremely detailed and accurate.

$1300 for Option #2, minor details but same structural look.

She is supposed to call me back tomorrow when she is back in town to discuss further.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #21 of 21

It all depends on what they want. The county next to mine had their 125th anniversary a couple of months back. I did a replica of the county courthouse. You know, typical southern neoclassic building. It was four layers high of 1/4 sheet cakes, plus extra cake for the gable roof. It was not like the Colette Peters cake, but more like a caricature of the courthouse. Close enough everyone knew it was the courthouse, but not oodles of detail. After baking the day before, it only took me about a day to put it together. I did it for half price ($400), since it was for a non-profit and itgave me a priceless amount of exposure. Got pictures in the paper and lots of people passing through picking up my card (we also had a bunch of sheet cakes to serve the public). So, it's about what they want. For jobs like that I try to get a really good idea of how many hours it will take me to do the cake. I allow $20/hr (good pay in my area), add 10% for related activities (dish washing, shopping etc.) and add the cost of ingredients and incidentals. I agree with other posters who say per serving cost is pretty much irrelevant for that type of cake. You're not selling a food item, you're selling a piece of art.
Communicate with your customer. They may not want a to-scale replica, they may simply want a cake that looks like the White House.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%