Arrrrggggg! I Should Have Tasted The Batter...

Decorating By PennySue Updated 24 May 2008 , 4:40pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 23

I usually taste my cake batter. I know the dangers...raw egg and all that but my thought has always been, if the batter tastes good the cake will too. Well, this time I didn't do that. I have IC (Interstitial cystitis) and chocolate is a trigger for flare-ups of the condition. Nasty, nasty. So, at this point in time I've been flaring for the past two weeks icon_cry.gif . I have a cake due on Wed. so I went ahead and made it, double recipe. I also had a migraine so I took my migraine meds, which also help with IC pain. Long story short, I only added one recipe's worth of sugar. Baked away and made a few cupcakes with the left over batter. Took a tiny taste of one icon_surprised.gif and icon_eek.gif , not so sweet. Rather salty actually. So, I'll have to do the whole thing over....tomorrow. Moral of the story...don't cook while on migraine meds & when recipe accuracy is important icon_biggrin.gif , and live on the wild side, when in doubt, taste, just a little.

22 replies
JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 23

I totally am a taster too! I taste everything I make whether it's something I'm taking to a potluck, making for just us or cake batter. I wouldn't want to serve something unless I knew it tasted ok. Maybe I'm paranoid! LOL!

Sorry about your migraine and IC. I hope you feel better soon! Your avatar picture is adorable!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 23

Oh No! I'm so sorry! I too just went through a long battle of re-baking and it was pain! I did somehting similar about 4 months back though...I promised my children I'd make them a pumpkin pie. Mixed everything up, popped it in the oven and remembered an hour later I forgot the sugar! icon_eek.gif You can imagine the words I had to hold back in front of my kids! icon_lol.giftapedshut.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 23

I am a batter taster too. Cookie dough, pancake batter, cake batter, bread dough.. I like it all.

Sorry you have to re-bake all of that.. ((hugs))

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 23

What a bummer for you on the cakes and the medical issues. I get migraines too, but that on top of IC!

Anyway, I used to a taster too until I noticed how batter looked when an ingredient such as sugar was missing or in the wrong proportion. Since the sugar dissolves, it makes that batter a little bit softer, or more "liquid". If your batter seems more stiff than usual, check your ingredients and retrace your steps. If you're still not sure, then taste it. Look at your batter of cakes you KNOW is properly mixed as a reference.

This has saved me a lot of calories and other problems. I hope it works for you or anyone else as well.

Michele

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 23

I especially love to taste the batter on new recipes as I agree that if the batter tastes good the cakes will also.

I feel sorry for both of you, PennySue and yummymummy. What a PITA! Hope the second batch made up for the hassle by turning out extra tasty!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #7 of 23

i taste my batter all the time. the one habit i have that i actually like. icon_lol.gif

PennySue Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 23

Second try is going much, much better! Migraine is gone today and the IC flare is so much better at the moment. God is soooo good!
And...I did taste the batter this time, just a tiny bit. Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement! This is supposted to be a suitcase cake. We'll see....if it comes out ok, I'll post it.
xoxo

PennySue Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 23

For any of you who are still interested...here is the cake. It didn't make it to the suitcase stage. The fondant and I had a bit of a battle and the fondant won. Oh well, I tried to fix the icing as best I could. The travel stickers helped hide some of the places I just couldn't smooth. I actually like the way it came out. Thought it looked sort of rustic Hawaiian, if there is such a thing.
LL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I am a batter taster too. Cookie dough, pancake batter, cake batter, bread dough.. I like it all.

Sorry you have to re-bake all of that.. ((hugs))

OK.. WEIRDO.. Pancake batter? BREAD DOUGH?? AND you don't like oreo creme??????????? UGHHH LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I love the cake btw icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 23

Nice job on that cake! Yes, it does sort of look 'rustic Hawaiian'. Cool!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:41am
post #12 of 23

Good save on the cake, sorry you had to re-bake. I love the way it looks.

Oh and Wgoat5...I love batter. I prefer it over the cake itself. I even will eat bread dough. However, I don't like the cream in oreos either. See jkalmans not the only weird-o. icon_wink.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:51am
post #13 of 23

I bake chocolate chip cookies, but I don't eat them after they're baked. Only dough. icon_biggrin.gif

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

I bake chocolate chip cookies, but I don't eat them after they're baked. Only dough. icon_biggrin.gif

Me too! (well rarely)

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:07am
post #15 of 23

Ooooh, you don't know what you're missing. Baked chocolate chip cookies when they're all ooey-gooey and melty are the best!!

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:04am
post #16 of 23

10 years on the hips for 2 minutes on the lips icon_wink.gif LOOL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #17 of 23

At this point I may as well enjoy an hour on the lips as these hips have had problems for much longer than 10 years!!! They ain't goin' nowhere! lol I used to think that that would be a good thing when I had kids......three c-sections later.........nope, they're big for no good reason at all. lol icon_lol.gif

Pass the batter with the chocolate chips, please!

wgoat5 Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #18 of 23

LMAO Grace!!!!

You have me rolling!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:24am
post #19 of 23

Well, on the rare occasion I eat "baked" choco chip cookies, they're basically warm dough... Heh... Definitely wouldn't pass the Cookie Challenge on Food Network! Apparently cookies are supposed to be crunchy. No thanks... icon_biggrin.gif

The comment about hips and kids... *giggle* icon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:48am
post #20 of 23

icon_wink.gif

Hey, at least Alton knows that not all people like their cookies the same way. On his show he gave examples of how to bake crunchy outer/soft inner cookies, and chewy cookies, and firmer cookies and the like. Different variations for different tastes. What a guy!

PennySue Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:15pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

10 years on the hips for 2 minutes on the lips icon_wink.gif LOOL

Ladies, Ladies....this is what Photoshop is for!!! 2 minutes on the lips, 30 seconds, it's gone from the hips! Ya gotta love technology.

wgoat5 Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #22 of 23

LMAO Penny LOL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #23 of 23

Ya gotta love technology! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%