Help Please - From The Book For Wilton Course 4- Gumpaste.

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 20 May 2008 , 12:37pm by CreatedByMe

dessert1st Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 11

If you have the book for Wilton's course 4 - Fondant & Gumpaste, could you PLEASE let me know what is needed for the first class? Our instructor gives us our book when we get there & I can't remember what I need to bring with me. Thanks so much!

10 replies
CreatedByMe Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 11

Hi
I got my book out and all it talks about for lesson one is coloring fondant, covering a cake board with fondant and how to cover a cake with fondant.

No supplies are listed either.
HTH
Have fun with your class!
Tara

tracey1970 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 11

When I signed up for this course at Michael's, the woman who signed my up didn't tell me that I needed anything for the first class. I had only taken course one prior to this, and for that class you actually didn't need anything for the first class. So I never thought to ask what was need for this class when I signed up. When I got to the first class, my instructor told us that we were supposed to have received a list of what to bring for the first class - some of us got the list and some didn't. So I spent some time running around with the list at the start of that class, trying to buy what was needed.

The list I should have gotten noted that we needed the course student kit, a package of white fondant, a package of gumpaste, gel colors (presumably purchased for previous courses), a couple of tablesppons of both cornstarch/powdered sugar to make up our dusting pouch, at least one 12" cake board to cover with fondant, a roll out mat (optional but recommended), a rolling pin (preferably a larger one), some shortening to thinly coat the roll-out mat, and I think something to trim the fondant with (I don't remember if a fondant trimmer is in the student kit, but I don't think it is).

That's all I can think of remember, and I'm sorry if I missed anything. But I did have memories of arriving to that class feeling really unprepared because I didn't get the list beforehand. Luckily, my instructor came with her stuff and let us borrow anything we couldn't/didn't buy if we hadn't received the list. When I think of the pricier things I could have bought with a 40%-50% off coupon...!

Hope you enjoy the course!

dessert1st Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:58am
post #4 of 11

Tracey, your experience was exactly what I was afraid of, sorry it happened to you. Thank you so much for the response, I just packed everything you mentioned, and made a batch of MMF. Whew, I feel better now.

I wish I had a Michael's closer than 1 1/2 hours away. Those coupons sound wonderful, but I couldn't afford the gas to use them!

Valli_War Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #5 of 11

Don't forget the piping gel to stick the fondant to the board. You will need the 12 inch round thick base (which comes already covered in foil) or 3-4 regular 10 inch rounds that you can stick together and cover with foil. (works cheaper)
You will also need your spatula from course one and scissor. I took my kid's play dough scissor. Works best to cut the fondant.

janebrophy Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:55am
post #6 of 11

I live far away from a Michael's too, but if you tell them that you are from out of town they have a special form to take your postal code, and they give you the 40% off. We took all of our classes there, and did our shopping after the class. It was worth it if there was a particular item that I was looking for, but the 40% is only on one thing, so you have to pick carefully!

By the way, the same thing happened to me when I went for the same class. Totally unprepared, but it was a different teacher, and she had much higher expectations than our previous teacher who had told us to bring nothing...

vickymacd Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 11

CreatedbyMe~~
I was all slumped over my computer and when I saw your avatar I immediately sat straight up! Guess my days past from Catholic school! Ha, ha.!!

CreatedByMe Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 11

Since it was over a year since I took this course I forgot you get a list of materials when you sign up. I looked in my binder and I found it!!

I hope this comes through....

spunkybear Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 11

I am in the middle of this exact class, tonight being 3 of 4 lessons. Here is an exact list that was given to me when I signed up.
Tools From Your Kitchen:
Resusable, disposable cloths (mostly for clean-up)
2 tbls. of white shortening
2 tbls. cornstarch
2 tbls. powdered sugar (these were to make your dusting pouch, so if you have one already, just take that)
toothpicks
corsage pin
scissors
scotch tape
plastic food storage wrap
2 gallon size food storage bags
2-3 quart size food storage bags

Icings:
1 sm. box of white fondant (I chose to make my own, since that is what I will be working with on the outside world) You might confirm this with them as your instructor may be a stickler for Wilton)
1 box of multi-pack primary or pastel fondant
piping gel

Decorating Tools and Supplies:
Fondant and Gum Paste Student Kit (I would recommend you flip the box over and look as to what is in it because after I did, I realized that I already owned each and everything that was in it!! Saved my self $30)
12 inch cake circle (as mentioned by a previous poster of two options)
20 inch rolling pin
small angled spatula
tapered spatula

My only other suggestion is if you are making and taking your own fondant, do take some colored as well as the white. On our first night, she did a marble technique. I also would add to the list your fondant smoother if you have one because you will be covering your board.

I hope your instructor is better that the one I have, kind of dissapointed but I think it is just her. She kind of has the personality of a wet mop!!
Have fun and think of it as a night out...no SO, no kids, no responsibilties and just a stolen 2 hours of YOU time. Oh, thats me thinking outloud again!! icon_lol.gif

spunkybear Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:19pm
post #10 of 11

Oh yeah, forgot to mention....If you don't have a coupon(s) here is a secret $ saver. If you go to the AC Moore web site, you can print their coupon (which they have on line every week!!) out and Michaels will not only accept that one but coupons from Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's. It is only good on 1 item but it is at least 40-50% off!

CreatedByMe Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 11

FYI
Some Michaels won't accept "internet coupons" from other stores. My local Michaels won't

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%