Icing Plugs.. I Believe..i Believe!! :)

Decorating By rezzygirl Updated 30 May 2008 , 9:53pm by dee-lite

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 18

After reading about this technique over a year ago, I finally got around to trying it last week and what a difference! I was able to cut the piping bags, tips and couplers I used down to 2 bags (because I used the large rose tip- larger hole), and 3 tips, 1 coupler!

For example, the cake was decorated with violet and yellow regular and half roses with green leaves and vining, the writing (happy anniversary...) was also violet. So it was one bag using yellow and violet plugs for the roses, and the other bag with green, yellow and the violet plug (same one from other bag). 1 coupler and 3 tips (large rose, #2 for writing, & vines and leaf tip). Hope that wasn't confusing, but was very easy to do! And no icing coming out of the top when I piped!

And clean up was also very easy because when you take the plug out, there's not a bunch of icing stuck in the tip!

Since I use disposable bags, it's money saving also! I'm hooked! Here is the thread with the instructions:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=icing&&start=0

17 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 18

Awesome....I have a cake due soon ....I'll give it a try!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks for sharing! Ive never heard of this, but will definitely be trying it out next time I make a cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 18

I absolutely adore this technique too. I experimented with it while icing cupcakes when I realized I couldn't hold my 18" bag open to fill it without making a mess. And I didn't have a proper container to hold it for me.

Not only is it WAYYYY neater, I can have all my icing ready to go before I start. No more stopping to open the bag, uncover icing bowl, spoon, spoon, spoon, cover icing bowl, close bag, wipe up mess.... Now, I just open bag, pull out empty plug, slide in full plug, close bag. It's awesome!

I cover my buttercream iced cakes with tip 12 (as opposed to the icer tip) and this technique has been such an amazing timesaver. Everyone should try it!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

After reading about this technique over a year ago, I finally got around to trying it last week and what a difference! I was able to cut the piping bags, tips and couplers I used down to 2 bags (because I used the large rose tip- larger hole), and 3 tips, 1 coupler!

For example, the cake was decorated with violet and yellow regular and half roses with green leaves and vining, the writing (happy anniversary...) was also violet. So it was one bag using yellow and violet plugs for the roses, and the other bag with green, yellow and the violet plug (same one from other bag). 1 coupler and 3 tips (large rose, #2 for writing, & vines and leaf tip). Hope that wasn't confusing, but was very easy to do! And no icing coming out of the top when I piped!

And clean up was also very easy because when you take the plug out, there's not a bunch of icing stuck in the tip!

Since I use disposable bags, it's money saving also! I'm hooked! Here is the thread with the instructions:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=icing&&start=0

Wow...never thought of this! what a great technique.
This is why I love CC and I love YOU guys!!!
Thanks so much for sharing.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks for sharing this is so cool

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 18

Great tip! I love CC!
Jen...

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 18

Awesome tip, I can't wait to try this. It's so smart, and the answer to a major problem I've been having!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 18

i haven't tried this. i think the clean up would be the best part of it. icon_lol.gif

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 18

I have been doing this for awhile now, and love it! It is also a great way to store all that leftover icing! I love it to save those small little bits of colored icing, that you need only once in awhile. I store all my "Plugs" in the refrigierator and then pull out the color I need. When I have a little girl "doll" party, all the colors come in handy and it is a great way to have many at hand.

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 18

That is awesome! I learn something new everyday on CC!! Thank you for sharing rezzycakes! thumbs_up.gif

Nancy

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 26 May 2008 , 4:03am
post #12 of 18

I used this on the cake I made this morning, and all I have to say is...God bless the cake-loving genius who came up with this method. Oh my gosh, it worked wonderfully, and I decorated an entire cake with one disposable plastic decorating bag and one parchment cone. That's it! I was so happy. And I have my left over icing stored in the freezer in the icing plugs.

This was just so easy, clean up was a breeze, and there was no icing oozing out the top of the bag.

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #13 of 18

I'm SOOOO glad you brought this up again. I'd forgotten all about it and was gearing up to do a sesame street bday cake for DD (using every color under the sun, but the same tip icon_smile.gif No I can swap out and back and forth using less bags and less mess!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #14 of 18

How clever is that? I use multiple bags too, this should really be a money saver, thanks for sharing!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 18

O.K., I'm confussed! What are these "plugs" you are talking about? Please let me in on this secret! icon_smile.gif

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 26 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #16 of 18

Great, Great idea. Thansk

iloveganache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iloveganache Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 18

this is a wonderful tip! thanks for posting

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #18 of 18

This is a great technique for using 2 colors at a time for striping or 2 tone effect without the colors mixing into one in the piping bag....Thanks to whomever thought this one up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%