Do I Have To Put Up With Fondant That Buckles?

Decorating By brnrlvr Updated 21 May 2008 , 8:56pm by terri76

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 10

I am wondering if the fondant always crunches up a little on the bottom of the tier no matter what because of gravity, or if this shouldn't be an accepted phanomina when working with fondant. Does this always happen, or do some of you not get any of this no matter how long the cake sits and it is just something I'm not doing right. Here's a picture of what I mean...
LL

9 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 10

actually it won't do that if you pull and smooth enough.. make sure you stretch it just a tad bit then smooth down with the side of your hand.. should help with the little ripple.. although I am not a true expert.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 10

I am no expert but could it be your cake settling after covering with fondant? may be you need a more firm cake. Just a guess.
p.s: Love your cake. Very striking colors.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 10

My guess would be weight. Perhaps the bottom layer needed to be a bit firmer. Being sure the fondant is well adhered, should help, too. That is, put on your crumb coat, let sit over night, add the covering of fondant, and allow to sit for 2-3 hours before you add decorations (time permitting). Carefully run you hands over the fondant, or use fondant smoothers, be sure there are no air bubble, and then add your decorations.

The cake is very attractive as it is. Great color and nice design!

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 10

I have never had this happen, but I also havn't done many fondant cakes. I just always make sure to smooth really well pulling down on the sides abit before I trim. hth!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:33am
post #6 of 10

i have had that issue many times. it most often happens on a tall cake or slanted cake, such as a whimsy.

you need firm cake, adding a little tylose to the fondant will help, and on whimsies i use ganache instead of BC under the fondant.

HTH

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 10

Sharon~What type cake do you use for your stacked cakes? I've heard people using box mixes and just not add the oil, what do you do. Your cakes on your fondant dvd are so pretty even not covered. How do you do it? What type pans do you use also?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 10

I use the WASC ( white almond sour cream ) for all cakes except whimsies; then i use the Durable recipe , both here on CC.

I use magic line pans to bake.

HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 10

Yep, its cake settling OR the fondant it trimmed just a HAIR too long and its pushing back up. Try trimming it up just a bit (and i mean a little bit) then using your smoother to pull it back down a bit till it just touches the final board once its on there.

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Sharon!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%