Wondering.......

Decorating By deeb173 Updated 19 May 2008 , 8:56pm by indydebi

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 3

I was approached by a lady at church, who asked if I still did cakes. She said that she wanted a cake for her sister's bridal shower, for the 1st weekend in JUNE, that was really tall and had fondant all over it and it looked like water...?? So I'm thinking at least two/three tiers but kinda clueless since all she talked about was it being all in fondant and tall. Anyway she said she would email me the picture of the cake....some shop in River Oaks (expensive part of Houston) had the cake and it was $150. The first thing out of my mouth was that sounds REASONABLE and I got this really funny look from her icon_confused.gif . Then she said it would only be for about 50 people.(I'm still thinking 50x$3=$150 very reasonable!) ...I said well just email me the picture, and I'll let you know if I can do and it give you a price. But I'm kinda torked (old 80's slang for upset icon_lol.gif ). Did she think I would be so much cheaper? I already have a cake to do for that weekend so I would be doing her a favor by doing hers on the same weekend. So now I'm just wondering if she will email me.....and if she does then I'm thinking about being shabby and telling her the price would be at least $150......What do you think? thumbsdown.gifthumbs_up.gif

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 3

People just don't understand what it takes. You price of $3 a serving seems quite reasonable for a fondant specialty cake. Stick to your pricing. She isn't doing you any favors, just looking for a deal.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 3

and if they haven't bought something in quite some time, the price difference can really be a sticker shock to them (ever go car shopping with someone who's owned their car for over 15 years? Or who has lived in their house for 50 years? My realtor cousin told me old people are the worst at buying/selling a house .... they think if they paid $15,000 for their house way back when and if they can get $25,000 for it now, then they are doing great ... it's hard to convince them the house is now worth $109,000!! Then try to get them to PAY $109,000 for a new house! icon_eek.gif )

I have a bride who eloped at her first wedding 30 years ago, so she's NEVER bought a wedding cake. She told me Walmart had a 3-tier cake for $138. I said, "Wow, that's really cheap!" She laughed and said, "Really? Are you kidding? That's CHEAP?" She was fun because she was laughing at herself and recognized that she knew NOTHING about buying a wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%