Made Cake Boards

Decorating By momof2cutebugs Updated 19 May 2008 , 11:32pm by pottedmeatchunks

momof2cutebugs Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 7

I was considering having some cake boards made to use instead of having to buy for sheet cakes and other sizes. My question is would they need to be 1 or 2 inches larger than cake to have room for border? And do ya'll think that it is a good idea? They would be made out of either corian or granite. My Dh works for them and I can get a really good deal. they would be aout 2 inched thick heavy no play in them unlike cake boards.

6 replies
Shelly4481 Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 7

My concern with the granite is the heaviness. I have granite countertops and I know they are very heavy and once a cake is one it...even heavier. Don't know much about the corian. But I would say you would need them 2 inches bigger. Maybe someone else will have info regarding this.

momof2cutebugs Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 7

I had thought about that to the corian is not as heavy they make cutting boards out of it also

momof2cutebugs Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 7

I had thought about that to the corian is not as heavy they make cutting boards out of it also

gottabakenow Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 7

I know some people get their cake boards made out of masonite.

HTH

jammjenks Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 7

I would make them 2" larger than the cake.

pottedmeatchunks Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 7

can you make your own cake boards out of cardboard? just an idea. i just value being able to give-away and throw-away. you can get all the cardboard you want at costco, and other stores will give you boxes as well you can break down. I make my borders pretty big so my boards are 3 inches wider than the cake (allows 1.5 inches on each side)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%