250 Cupcakes Need Help With Timeline And Flowers

Decorating By cookinnut Updated 20 May 2008 , 1:01pm by deeb173

cookinnut Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hey there great cakers! Couple questions, I'm doing 250 cupcakes for my brothers wedding (and no he's not getting any other present out of me!) and they will be wanting a lot of flowers, lilies and what not. When can I start making the flowers? I've never used gumpaste but was thinking about giving it a whirl here soon to try it out. Also, how far in advance can I get started on baking the c.cakes to freeze? As soon as possible would be ideal since I have a 4 and 1 yr old, part time job and 4 whole weekends of plans too. Oh yeah, their wedding is in 10 weeks. Thanks!!!

4 replies
deeb173 Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 5

Start making those flowers NOW, girl! If you are doing gumpaste just keep them out of the light and dust and they will last forever...well almost forever. As far as the cup cakes I would think that as long as you wrap them well they would be okay to freeze and then thaw when you need them.

cookinnut Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:11am
post #3 of 5

Thanks deeb173. One more thing, with the gum paste, anyone know if the Wilton stuff is any good and if so, do you just straight up use that (like the directions say) or do you have to add in anything else? I just bought a can and thought I'd get into it tommorrow.

cookinnut Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:03am
post #4 of 5

Ha, I like that I said one more thing..that only applied to my last post I guess ! Again, one more thing, whats the best way to wrap/store the cc for the freezer?

deeb173 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 5

The Wilton fondant is okay....it's not really great. I usually just use it for decorations. More people like Satin Ice...I really don't care for it either..it seems too soft and sticky but tastes lot better. I like to either make marshmallow fondant, which I'm not good at icon_redface.gif or what I do most most is take the wilton fondant and mix it half/half with white chocolate fondant. (I just ordered some chocopan and it was good.) I think it tastes the best and mixing with the wilton stuff makes it more elastic.. The chocolate fondant has a tendency to tear.
I've never frozen cc's but for freezing a cake you double wrap with saran wrap then wrap with reynolds wrap. So I think that I would individually double wrap each cc with saran wrap then wrap a bunch together with reynolds wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%