What Would You Use To Make The Indentations In A Golf Ball??

Decorating By tracey1970 Updated 20 May 2008 , 7:53pm by tracey1970

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 15

I plan to make a golf ball cake for Father's Day, using the Wilton sports ball pan. I am hoping to cover it in white fondant.

Any tips on covering a ball with fondant? Not looking forward to that!

Also, what should I use for the indentations? I would like them to be roughly "to scale" with a real golf ball. I have seen people use a rounded dowel end. The only dowels I have are just a bit smaller around than a regular pencil. Would they be OK to use, too small or too large??

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

14 replies
momof2cutebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof2cutebugs Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 15

Could you use a melon baller it would be alittle larger just put the rounded site into the fondant to make the indention, just a thought. let us know what you use

nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 15

how about the rounded end of a wooden spoon

tracey1970 Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 15

That's a good idea. I don't have a melon baller, but they are easy enough to get. I was wondering if that might be a big too big?? I plan to do a practice version, so it's worth a try. I wonder if anyone has used a melon baller to do this?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 15

I used the large ball tool to make my indentations. This is the soccer ball pan on top of a 9-inch round.
LL

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 15

I just made a cute golfball cake, check it out in my photos....I used the back of a coffee measure scoop, just make sure that your buttercream is think enough for your fondant to dent into!! Have fun!!

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 15

I used a Vick's nasal inhaler! (the outside lid - not the part you stick in your nose! icon_lol.gif) The end of it is rounded in the perfect shape!

tracey1970 Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 15

Those are great ideas. I'll try them all in my test run (the poor fondant in the test run is going to take quite a beating!).

Diane and jlsheik, those are beautiful cakes. I hope mine turns out as nicely as your did.

Thanks again, everyone.

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 15

I'm going to do one for Father's Day, too. Those ideas are great!! I can't wait to try...

Could you use a melon baller on the cake before the buttercream and fondant? So that the fondant sinks into the holes on its own? Or is that a horrible idea? LOL

tracey1970 Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 15

I would suppose that the pressure put on the cake by your hands while smoothing the fondant would probably rub out any indents made in the underlying buttercream.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 15

Wish I could take all the credit for knowing that your BC needs to be thicker but I got the info from someone here at CC!! Thats why we are all here I guess!! Thanks for your sweet comments...make sure and post a pic so we can see the final product. I'm sure it will be fabulous!

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 15

For one of the cakes I had to do, I used a Hama bead board to make the indents - I think it might be slightly too small for what you want but it was excellent for sheep etc!!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 15

Here is one that I made:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=93894

It was covered in BC that crusted but I think it would work with fondant. I used the end of a glass candy thermometer for the dimples.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 15

i use the end of a paint brush. icon_lol.gif

tracey1970 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:53pm
post #15 of 15

More great ideas! Thanks, everyone. I can't wait to give my sample ball a good dimpling!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%