Black Color Flow

Decorating By Cbelmonte Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm by BJ

Cbelmonte Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 5

I'm just a beginner with cake decorating...and a friend of mine needs a cake but the decorations require black color flow. What is the best way to make it.

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 5

If it's not too detailed you could paint it w/airbrush color OR thin some gel paste w/something like vodka; vanilla extract etc.
If you try to color the icing black it will get funny - probably not dry well if at all.
Also, just a hint: make your colorflow piece on plastic wrap (rather than wax paper or parchment) and you will have less chance of it breaking when you try to take it off the paper. Make *sure* the plastic has no wrinkles.

tracey1970 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 5

I have used black color flow many times (I have pics of a Spiderman head and some maple leaves in my photos). I just made regular color flow and added black Wilton gel color. I had no problems at all. The color was excellent.

2txmedics Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 5

How do I make a perfect black and most important the RED....I always have problems getting the red...no matter what I try. I need a spiderman cake by july 15th.

Ive bought Chinese Red...and Christmas red, and I still cant do it....

BJ Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 5

What I do to make red is use the Wilton "No Taste" red (any red coloring will do). Before I put any red into the icing - I first color it with pink and bring it to the pinkest pink you can get. After that is reached - then start adding the red. The reason so many people don't like red icing is because they start with white icing and to get a deep red, you have to add a TON icon_eek.gif of red coloring and it usually makes it taste funny. I've found that if you color it pink first and THEN start adding the red - you get a great deep red and no icky taste. I've also found that when I'm mixing in the red - the icing always looks a little orangey and I think I still need to add more - don't. Take a small amount of the icing and put it on something to air dry for about 1/2 hour. You will see that the color deepens as it sits. That will give you the true color your icing will look like once you've iced the cake and let it set. I hope this helps. Don't let red be the ruler of you - Rule The Red! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%