What Did I Do Wrong....fondant/gumpaste Not Drying....

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 19 May 2008 , 9:02pm by Denae

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 17

Okay, I bought some fondant and mixed in a good deal of gumtex for added support and made some stuff. I made a cake topper (see below) out of uncolored fondant. Then I took my icing color and mixed that with some extract/vodka and painted my numbers. That was 24 hours ago and the painted areas are still tacky! I painted the front of the numbers first. For that color, I mixed the gel with some almond extract, but not too much - the "paint" was on the thicker side. Then later that evening, I flipped them over and painted the back side. For the back color, I decided to mix the gel with vodka and I used a lot more to make it more "runny". The back dried a lot faster but is still a bit tacky but not nearly as tacky as the front of the numbers. (P.S. The numbers themselves have set, it's just the color that isn't drying).

What is going on? I need to pack these up and bring them with me to AZ on Thursday and I'm afraid if I wrap them (what do I wrap them in), they will stick to whatever I wrap them to.

HELP!!!!!
LL

16 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 17

Sorry I'm not of much help, but I was just going to tell you that I've had that problem a lot too... its like the alcohol percentage isn't enough to dry out the liquid of the food coloring... hmmm... I wish I could help you. Hopefully someone else will come along to help you out!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 17

They look great, I love how curvy the numbers are.

I think they'll dry by Thursday. I've painted things kind of thickly and had them take a couple of days to dry, but they all eventuallly have dried.

When you do pack them, if the paint is still a little tacky, wrap them in parchment paper to minimize sticking, and just bring your icing colors and paintbrush in case you need to do a little touchup.

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks Sarsi. I'm almost wondering if you need to have very little color and a lot more alcohol. I just don't get it. The funny thing is last week I was experimenting with fondant, etc (never used it before) and used liquid food coloring - too lazy to get my icing gels - mixed with some extract. That dried perfectly, but it was a very dull color and didn't look pretty. The gels are producing a very high shine color on the fondant and it almost looks like it is a ceramic glaze. I hope someone can help answer my questions.

Heat, what about HEAT? Can I put it in the oven on low and then turn it off and let the stuff dry in there while the oven cools off?

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks Texas Rose. You mention that you've painted some thick. Would you recommend using more alcohol and less icing colors when mixing the two?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 17

Try using airbrush color instead. It already has the correct mix of alcohol to color in it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 17

Yes, I would suggest putting them under a fan to dry. Almond extract although its clear doesnt allow it to dry correctly. Also could be the coloring your using for the actual paint. Use either vodka, pure grain alcohol or lemon extract next time. You can also go over it with lemon extract or the vodka to get them to dry quicker. But definetly stick them under a fan!

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 17

Oh and thanks! I'm trying to find the font that I used for it. I love it!

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 17

You guys are the best!!!!! Thanks!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 17

If you do a few coats of thin paint...that might work also...

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks! As soon as I get home tonight, I'll put the fan on them. First, I'm gonna stop off and get a florist block to stand up the numbers so the air circulates around them now that they are hard enough to stand

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 17

The font is called Acadian. Here is the template that I used.
LL

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 17

Your numbers look AWESOME!! I love them.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 17

put them in your oven with your oven light on!

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks Terri-Jo.

Theresa - do I just pour those colors into a bowl and paint it on with a brush or do I need to use the airbrush. I don't think I'm that coordinated to use the airbrush, but if I can use the colors like I would the regular icing colors, that might be something I want to look into. Thanks!

Trixyinaz Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 17

Denae - can you believe my oven doesn't have an oven light?

NTS....when we buy our next oven, make sure it has an oven light icon_lol.gif

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #17 of 17

haha...that is funny! i sometimes losely cover my stuff in saran wrap and put them in the sun on my back deck. that makes it dry very quick...however, with paint, it might fade it.

to me airbrush color is too runny, i like sing americolor gel paste.

yes...nts...get and oven with oven light!!! hope it work out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%