Question About Wilton Fondant And Gumpaste Class

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 19 May 2008 , 6:46pm by tracey1970

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 4

When I took my Wilton classes 18 years ago, they didn't teach fondant and gumpaste. Now, I am trying to expand my fondant and gumpaste skills and I was wondering if it is worth my time. Can you tell me what they teach in that class?

I've covered several cakes now and am feeling a bit more confident and I've done basic cutouts, etc. I've marbled fondant and covered my first cake board this weekend and was pleased with the results. I've also made some animals for a Noah's Ark cake and they turned out quite cute, mostly. (The elephants look deformed but I'll hide them in the back. )

What I'm really not comfortable with is making flowers, expecially roses. They haven't turned out too well. Would it be worth my time to take this class?

Thanks!

3 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 4

Basically they cover how to cover a cake board and cakes with fondant. I don't remember much for flowers. Probably because I wasn't impressed with how they were. I have learned far more on here than in any Wilton class. However, if your looking to learn the basics, then Wilton is the way to go.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 4

If you have the money and already know how to work with fondant you may want to look in classes from someone like Nick Lodge.

The fondant/gumpaste rose is actually covered in Course 3.

In F/GP class you will learn a carnation, daisy, and fantasy flower. You also learn how to do drapes, handkerchief and ribbon garland.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 4

In that course, we learned how to color fondant, how to cover a cake board with fondant, how to cover a cake with fondant. We made fondant/gumpaste carnations, fantasy flowers, daisies, drapes, borders, etc. We learned how to attach fondant/gumpaste pieces to each other. Stuff like that. I hadn't taken course 3 when I too this, so I learned a lot about how to use fondant. I know that many people think there is some overlap between this and course 3, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%