3 Tier Mad Hatter Cake That Serves 25 People?? Advice Please

Decorating By Karabear1125 Updated 21 May 2008 , 3:53am by cakecakelady

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 11

I just received an email and she wants a mad hatter tea party cake but only needs 25 servings and wants it to be a 3 tier. How in the world?! Can someone please tell me what I should tell her, I'm not good with words and need to price her appropriately and is it possible to do this in a 3 tier with so little servings?? Help!

Thanks so much!

10 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 11

Figure out the smallest cake you are able to make w/this design.
I would tell her that given the nature of the design, the minimum for this cake is the number you came up with.

This goes back to indydebi's KFC reference. YOu can't go into KFC and stay that you only want two piece of the four piece dinner - you have to pay for the whole dinner.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 11

um, maybe "no"

honestly - just tell the person that your min # of servings for that type of cake is "x" and thus the min price is "X" times your normal per serving price.

Just b/c they WANT that doesn't mean you have to MAKE that.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 11

I made this one, it's a two tier and serves 25

Not sure HOW you would do it with 3 tiers though
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 11

oh, by the way, it's an 8"carved down to a 6" and a 4" carved down to a 3 1/2" cake

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 11

You can give the cake more height by using a cake drum, 2 layers of cake and then use the drum to make the 3rd layer, perhaps the largest layer.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 11

There is a mad hatter 3 tiered cake on this site that is cute.
The bottom layer is the top hat, the middle layer the tea pot and the top layer a tea cup with rabbit ears sticking out.

Looks like you could make with 4", 6", 9"

Search: Mad Hatter

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 11

I agree with others and tell her you can do it with "x" servings at "x" dollars. You can always use a dummy cake for a layer or two. I know you still have to decorate it but you can include it in your price. In my photos I made a mad hatter/Alice in Wonderland theme cake. The Green top hat was made of foam and it still turned out good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 11

I tell brides all the time, "You can't have that design for that many people..." and then proceed to tell them what we CAN do instead.

You might be amazed how many brides want a 5-tier cake to serve only 75 people. icon_eek.gif

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 11

I knew you guys could help me! Thank you soo much for the advice, I'm gonna email her back now.

Thanks again! I REALLY appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

cakecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecakelady Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #11 of 11

The two tiered topsy turvy posted previously for 25 people, Did you make each tier with two 2" high layers or three 2" high layers.
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%