Royal Icing Recipe Using Egg Whites?

Baking By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 20 May 2008 , 6:29pm by tiptop57

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 7

i found antonia's recipe needed meringue powder and i can't find that around here.

can anyone recommend a good royal icing recipe that uses egg whites instead of meringue powder and dries well?

thanks.

6 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, that is all I use! One egg white, dash of Cream of Tartar and powdered sugar (PS). I add the first cup pf PS and keep adding and mixing in tablespoons of PS until I get the consistency I would like each being different for the runouts, or medium and stiff icing depending on what I am doing. I highly, highly, highly recommend this type of Royal Icing as it is flexible when doing delicate work and very strong after it has dried. icon_wink.gif

HTH

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 7

My Mom used this recipe - it is from a 1978 Wilton Yearbook.

Royal Icing: Egg White Recipe

3 egg whites (room temp.)
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Beat all ingredients at high speed for 7 to 10 minutes. Use immediately, rebeating will not restore texture.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 7

thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

when should i add the color? am using gel colors btw.

tiptop57 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 7

cupcakeshoppe asked:

Quote:
Quote:

when should i add the color? am using gel colors btw.

This is one of the reasons why I do not use an actual recipe.....I add the coloring when mixing for consistency with the egg white.

As I use RI for many different venues i.e. runout, piping, extension and Lambeth and each requiring their own consistency I work from a primarily look and test base. That is why I start with one cup PS and then add by tablespoonfuls one at a time. And I have found that by using a smaller amount of egg white I have less waste. You would be surprised how much you can get with one egg. One more tip is to mix until is is no longer yellowish (5 min. plus) and mix on the lowest speed. Or by hand as I sometimes do........icon_wink.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 7

i just tried your way and guess what? i made more than i needed. i couldn't believe how much RI i got just from one egg!

thanks so much. I was able to pipe letters and lines and dots. it was my first time to decorate cookies and to work with RI. you have definitely helped me. thanks!

tiptop57 Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 7

Wonderful! I am glad I could help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%