Help! With Fondant Questions!

Decorating By illini89 Updated 19 May 2008 , 6:30pm by mindywith3boys

illini89 Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:30am
post #1 of 9

Help! I have been asked to make a two tiered cake next week. The client would like black fondant stripes on the sides. My question: is it possible to put fondant stripes on a buttercreamed cake? and if yes how?(have not done this yet-just starting to work with fondant. OR is it better to cover the cake in fondant. I still need to talk to the client about that one.
I would much appreciate help as I am slowly freaking out here!
thanks

8 replies
lara3teach Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:55am
post #2 of 9

Yes, you can put fondant stripes on a buttercream cake. I've never done stripes, but I have put fondant cutouts on a bc cake. I made sure to let the bc crust well and I brushed a little water (very little so as not to create puddles under the fondant) on the back of the fondant and stuck it to the cake. Hope this helps.

illini89 Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:19am
post #3 of 9

thanks! it helps to hear that someone else has already tried it out!

punkiin Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #4 of 9

I've also used fondant stripes on buttercream...I find that using bc on the back of the fondant works as a glue too.

CelebrationCakery Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #5 of 9

I have done it as well...it is very simple, so no need to worry at all. You will do great!!

illini89 Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:48am
post #6 of 9

thanks everyone! I know it is silly to panik, but yet i still do! 3 cheers for cake central!

CelebrationCakery Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 9

We have all had that "cake panic" just thinking about what we have to do for the next cake...you will have to be sure to share it with us when you are done!!!

tracey1970 Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 9

I have placed fondant letters around the sides of a buttercream iced cake. I let the letters dry for a bit first, so they wouldn't be too wobbly to try and push into the cake side. They went on fine and stayed on perfectly. Go for it!

mindywith3boys Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 9

The best way to place a fondant ribbon to keep it from distorting and stretching out of shape when you pick it up, is to roll it up like a tape measure and unroll it on the cake.

HTH! ~Mindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%