Mmf Questions

Decorating By Kitty484 Updated 19 May 2008 , 10:54am by vickymacd

Kitty484 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty484 Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:06am
post #1 of 3

Hi,
I am planning to use MMF to cover a cake this weekend but I've never used it before so I need to know some things before I start icon_confused.gif !
Can MMF be coloured and marbled in same way as ordinary fondant?
How long will it need to dry out to be able to work on?
How easy is it to work with compared to normal sugarpaste fondant, in terms of cracking, stretching, colouring etc?
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

2 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:42am
post #2 of 3

Kitty, to answer some of your questions, yes you can color and marbelize the fondant like any other. However, if you need a deep color (single shade), I would suggest coloring the fondant when it comes out of the microwave, all soupy and stuff. You can add your color right there, and it will stay pretty true to that shade, even after you add your PS, with a lot less kneading. Also, when your MMF is at the soupy stage, I would add a teaspoon or two of glycerine, to help keep it soft after it's on the cake.

I find it pretty easy to work with. I add my PS, knead it, then roll it out immediately and put it on the cake. I don't let mine rest, and I have found it easier to use that way. If your MMF gets too hard to work with, you can just pop it back in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up.

Good luck!

<S>

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:54am
post #3 of 3

Starkie~ never heard of using glycerine to MMF! Does that affect the taste at all? I love using and making MMF and yes, it does dry hard. How soft does it keep it? Obviously you wouldn't use this for molding, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%